Former Syracuse women’s basketball guard Danielle Minott to transfer to Eastern Michigan

Evan Jenkins | Staff Photographer

Head coach Quentin Hillsman compared Danielle Minott to starting point guard Alexis Peterson, saying Minott is "next." After two unproductive seasons, Minott is transferring to Eastern Michigan.

Former Syracuse guard Danielle Minott will transfer to Eastern Michigan, according to an EMU press release.

Minott played for the Orange for two seasons and will not be eligible for the Eagles until 2017-18 because of NCAA transfer rules.

She saw the floor in just seven games this past season and none of SU’s last 13 games. She played a season-high nine minutes on Dec. 21 in a 16-point win against Jacksonville. Minott logged a total of six points, four rebounds, one assist, one steal and 24 minutes in 2015-16.

As a freshman, Minott played in 22 games averaging 4.5 minutes, 1.5 points and 1.1 rebounds. At the beginning of her freshman year, Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman compared Minott to point guard Alexis Peterson, who was later named a 2015-16 first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference member.

“When (Danielle) starts to figure out what we’re trying to do on the floor, she’s going to be explosive for us,” Hillsman said after Minott’s first game.

“Like I told you last year about (then-freshman guard) Alexis Peterson, trust me, Danielle Minott’s next. She’s a very good player, and she’s going to help us.”

Eastern Michigan finished the 2015-16 year with a 22-12 record (10-8 Mid-American) and reached the second round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament.

“We are ecstatic to have a player of Danielle’s caliber joining our program,” Eastern Michigan head coach Fred Castro said. “(She) will bring a championship mentality to our team. She is a physical guard that can get to the rim and shoot over defenders at will.”