Schools And Colleges

David Van Slyke named Maxwell School dean after previously serving as search committee chair

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

Van Slyke has been a faculty member at Maxwell since 2004, when he came to the school as an assistant professor.

David Van Slyke has been named the next dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly announced Friday.

Van Slyke, who will take over as dean on July 1, currently serves as associate dean of the school. He was also the chair of the Maxwell dean search committee until the committee was disbanded and the search was suspended last week.

Wheatly said in an email to the Maxwell community at the time that the search was suspended because she didn’t believe the committee had found “a candidate who could engender strong support and generate great excitement about the School’s future” — though in the email she also praised Van Slyke’s leadership during the search.

Van Slyke has been a faculty member at Maxwell since 2004, when he came to the school as an assistant professor. As dean he will replace James Steinberg, who has served in the position since 2011.

“It is a great honor to work with the Maxwell School’s outstanding students, faculty, staff and alumni as dean,” Van Slyke said in an SU News release. “I am excited to serve in this important role as we pursue the school’s distinct contribution, to ‘transmitting the city not only not less, but greater, better, and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us.’”