Syracuse lacrosse head coach John Desko wins 2nd consecutive ACC Coach of the Year award

Frankie Prijatel | Senior Staff Photographer

Syracuse head coach John Desko (left) is the winningest active head coach in lacrosse and won his second Atlantic Coast Conference title in a row on Sunday.

The Atlantic Coast Conference has named Syracuse head coach John Desko ACC Coach of the Year for the second consecutive season.

The 18-year veteran is the winningest active head lacrosse coach and his .759 winning percentage ranks seventh all-time in NCAA lacrosse history.

SU weathered a tough mid-season stretch of four losses in five weeks — three in overtime — and navigated through a goalie change in the midst of a blowout loss to Notre Dame on April 2. The Orange arrived to the ACC tournament as the lowest seed of the four teams, but outlasted North Carolina and Duke to claim a second straight conference title.

In addition to Desko’s award, the conference announced Duke’s Myles Jones as the Offensive Player of the Year, UND’s Matt Landis as the Defensive Player of the Year and first-year attack Ryder Garnsey as the Freshman of the Year.

Syracuse next plays Colgate at 1 p.m. on Saturday in the Carrier Dome, followed by SU’s first-round NCAA tournament game the following weekend.