Nation’s leading scorer reportedly transfers to Syracuse women’s basketball

Evan Jenkins | Staff Photographer

Quentin Hillsman picked up the nation's leading scorer as a transfer. Jasmine Nwajei will come to Syracuse from Wagner. She will be required to sit out the 2016-17 season and will have one year of eligibility remaining.

Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei will transfer to Syracuse, Scout.com reported Saturday afternoon. Nwajei led the nation in scoring last season with an average of 29 points per game.

Nwajei won’t be eligible until the 2017-18 season due to NCAA transfer rules, per the report. Senior guards Alexis Peterson and Brittney Sykes have one more year of eligibility left and space in the lineup could open up for Nwajei, who will be a fifth-year senior, by the following season.

“I have plans to start,” Nwajei told Scout.com. “I’m going to be the floor general, of course a scoring threat and a reflection of Coach Q.”

In addition to her 29 points per game, Nwajei averaged 6.1 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.6 steals for the Seahawks last season. She shot 38 percent from the field and 25 percent from behind the arc. She scored 40 or more points in five games last year.

After reaching its first-ever national championship game, the Orange will have to replace its most accomplished senior class in program history, including guards Brianna Butler, Cornelia Fondren and Maggie Morrison. SU’s 2016-17 roster is expected to include nine scholarship guards who will still have eligibility remaining in 2017-18.