Commencement 2016

Graduating students encouraged to give back to Syracuse University

Graduating students are encouraged to donate the equivalent of their class year. This year it's $20.16.

During the Syracuse University commencement ceremony on May 15, hundreds of students will be wearing an orange, white and silver cord, which is a token of appreciation on behalf of the university to thank graduating students for giving back.

Every year since 2010, the senior class at SU has been encouraged to leave its mark by participating in the Class Act Campaign. Through the campaign, graduating students make a donation that is equivalent to their class year. This year it’s $20.16, said Megan Andolina, assistant director of lifelong learning in the Office of Alumni Engagement.

Andolina is working on the Class Act Campaign in coordination with Sarah Hope, an assistant director in the Office of Donor Relations.

“It’s purpose basically is to kind of to get you ready to be an alum, and get you engaged before you leave on why philanthropy is important and what impact it has on the university,” Hope said.

Students can choose to give back to whatever area they are passionate about. Hope said most students choose to give back to their college, an organization or something else that shaped their experience on campus.

This year’s campaign has been different in that there was no designated committee promoting the campaign to students, rather it has been driven by individual groups of students across the schools and colleges. This is also the first year the law school has participated, Hope said.

Student donations have increased every year since the initiative began, Hope said. Last year 22.6 percent of the graduating class participated in the Class Act Campaign, raising close to $17,000. As of April 28 of this year, the Class of 2016 has had 16 percent participation and raised about $12,500. She added that all gifts will continue to be counted through the end of the fiscal year, which is June 30.

When students graduate this year they will be joining a network of more than 250,000 living alumni, Andolina said.

“The four years that you are here at SU kind of change your life and are so important at putting you on a certain path that we really just want SU to remain in their lives and make them feel like they’re still connected,” Andolina said.

From a philanthropic point of view, maintaining alumni relations is important because the cost of tuition only covers 85 percent of university operating cost, Andolina said. To make up the other 15 percent, SU relies on donors, and the majority of them are alumni.

Figures for this year’s university endowment have yet to be released publicly, but for the last three consecutive years’ figures have surpassed $1 billion, according to the SU Giving website.

Maintaining alumni relations is also important because of the resources that they can provide for students, said Susan Ballard, the associate vice president of alumni engagement.

“Our alumni are the living legacy of the university, if you will, and they have the stories that create the fabric that make Syracuse University what it is today.” Ballard said. “There is a reason that we continue to thrive and they continue to give back in many ways.”

Ballard said the Office of Alumni Engagement is in contact daily with alumni about whether they are interested in hosting something in their area, learning more about a certain research project or they are looking for information as it relates to current happening on campus.

Student Association Vice President Jane Hong, a graduating senior broadcast and digital journalism major who is on the Student Philanthropy Council, said after graduation she will be staying in touch with the university and giving back however she can.

“We have really, really incredible students who wouldn’t be able to be here unless they had those gifts that were given by alumni,” Hong said.