Former Syracuse football player Naesean Howard could reportedly face up to 25 years in prison

Courtesy of Syracuse Police Department

Naesean Howard allegedly stabbed two former teammates and could reportedly face up to 25 years in jail if he's convicted on all the charges he faces.

Former Syracuse football player Naesean Howard, who is accused of stabbing two former teammates, now faces up to 25 years in prison if he’s convicted, according to Syracuse.com.

Howard was indicted Thursday on a charge of first-degree assault, which could result in the 25-year sentence, per the report. Prior to the indictment, Howard was arrested on two second-degree assault charges, which would result in up to seven years in prison.

A second-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon charges were also included in Thursday’s indictment, according to Syracuse.com.

Howard is accused of stabbing junior defensive backs Chauncey Scissum and Corey Winfield at a South Campus party on April 16. Scissum was stabbed in his neck, upper chest, shoulder and lip while Winfield was stabbed in the lower back, abdomen and wrist, police said.

The first-degree assault charge likely relates to Scissum while the second-degree assault charge likely relates to Winfield, based on the injuries recorded by police.

Howard was ordered to have a mental health exam on April 22, but the results of that exam are unknown. He will now be arraigned in felony court going forward, and he remains free on bail. No date for his arraignment has been set, per Syracuse.com.