Commencement 2016

DPS does not anticipate security or parking issues for commencement weekend

DPS is planning to do bag checks and use metal detector wands.

Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety does not anticipate any issues at this year’s commencement as long as the weather cooperates.

DPS Associate Chief John Sardino said security measures for the 2016 commencement ceremony are equivalent to that of last year’s and that he does not anticipate any issues. He added that the weather often plays a crucial role in terms of how the event unfolds.

“Things run a lot smoother if the weather is nice,” Sardino said. “If not, there is traffic congestion and delays.”

When the weather is bad, people try to drive closer to the Carrier Dome to avoid walking, Sardino said. In order to prevent traffic issues, he encourages attendees to be timely.

The doors will open at 7 a.m. on Sunday for the ceremony, which will start at 9:30 a.m. DPS officers arrive at the Dome at 6 a.m. the same day to do a sweep with the K-9 unit in anticipation of the gates opening. Sardino said this is done before all large scale events.

“We open early,” Sardino said. “We love to see people get there as early as they can to avoid delays.”

DPS officers have been meeting to discuss commencement for well over a month, Sardino said.

Security measures, including bag checks, will be similar to those taken at athletic events held in the Dome.

But commencement differs from athletic events because it is one of the few occasions in which officers wear their dress uniform. They will still be identifiable with their hats and badges though, Sardino said. About 33 officers will be involved with the ceremony.

The Syracuse Police Department will also be involved with security measures for commencement by joining the DPS officers inside the Dome, Sardino said.

“SPD is our partner inside the Dome for any significant event that takes place,” Sardino said.

DPS officers will also be present for individual college convocations on Saturday. They will have private security and metal detector wands, Sardino said.

Parking and Transit Services is also part of the command and post structure, Sardino added.

“We communicate if there are any problems or delays,” Sardino said. “But it typically goes off without a hitch. Bad weather leads to more communication.”

Parking for the weekend is being coordinated by Parking and Transit Services and the Office of Special Events, said Alex Snow, events manager for the Office of Special Events, in an email.

“Many campus lots will be by pass only and I have been working with requests for accessibility as well as special guest with passes,” Snow said.

For Saturday’s convocations, campus parking garages and lots will be open between 6 a.m. and 10:30 p.m., with a wheelchair accessible shuttle service from the University Avenue Garage to the Schine Student Center and Gate A of the Carrier Dome, according to the commencement website.

An additional shuttle service for those with limited mobility will run from Gate A of the Carrier Dome to receptions between 10:30 a.m. and 11 p.m. on Saturday, according to the website.

Free parking will be available during Sunday’s commencement ceremony as well, according to the website.

University Avenue Garage is open from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. with a free shuttle service to Schine, according to the website. A free shuttle service will also run from Manley Field House to College Place from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Wheelchair accessible buses, marked Call-A-Bus, will shuttle between the Manley North parking lot on Comstock Avenue and University Garage with direct route to and from Gate A of the Carrier Dome, according to the website. Attendants will be on hand to assist guests on and off the buses.

Free shuttles will run from the South Campus bus shelters throughout the weekend.