Week in Review

Week in News: Trump and Sanders sweep primaries, Naesean Howard makes court appearance and more

Moriah Rater | Staff Photographer

Trump and Clinton swept the New York primaries and Onondaga County on Tuesday.

Here is what you may have missed this week in The Daily Orange news section:

Trump and Clinton dominate New York state primaries

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and business mogul Donald Trump won both Onondaga County and New York state on Tuesday in New York state’s Democratic and Republican primaries, respectively. Both candidates were expected to win.

Trump won every county in the state except Manhattan, which went to Ohio Gov. John Kasich. Clinton won the counties around New York City, as well as Onondaga, Erie and Monroe counties. Trump earned 60.4 percent of the vote and Clinton earned 58 percent, according to The New York Times.

Some Syracuse University students faced problems at the polls if they weren’t registered with the correct party or had their registration mishandled. Many filled out affidavit ballots, which are approved at the discretion of the Board of Elections.

trum[
Moriah Rater | Staff Photographer

Naesean Howard makes second court appearance

Naesean Howard, a former Syracuse University football player, made his second court appearance on Friday. He was accused of stabbing two SU football players at a South Campus party on April 16.

The football players were Corey Winfield and Chauncey Scissum. They were both hospitalized after the incident.

Howard is indefinitely suspended from the university. On Friday, a judge ordered him to take a mental health exam to see if he is competent enough to stand trial.

Naesean-Howard-page-001 (1)
Courtesy of Syracuse Police Department

Presidential candidates and higher education

In advance of Tuesday’s primaries, The Daily Orange News Department compiled a side-by-side comparison of the major presidential candidates’ stances on higher education reform. The comparison included the issues of college costs, student loans and debt, student aid programs and sexual assault on college campuses.

On the part of the Democrats, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has proposed making tuition free at all public institutions, while former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would provide public institutions with enough federal funds to cover students’ tuition, book costs or other fees.

On the Republican side, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) has suggested abolishing the Department of Education and giving more power to the states, while Ohio Gov. John Kasich has said students could do public service to work off debts.

Trump did not have a definitive plan for any of the issues, but he has proposed cutting funding for the Department of Education. He has also said in previous interviews that the federal government should not profit off loans and that some students should be allowed to refinance their loans

presidents higher ed illo
Devyn Passaretti | Head Illustrator

Opening ceremony held for Blackstone LaunchPad

The Blackstone LaunchPad, the transparent cube in Bird Library that will house an entrepreneurial support program, officially opened to the public on Tuesday. SU is among five other colleges in New York state that are taking part in the Blackstone program.

At the event, Chancellor Kent Syverud discussed the importance of innovation at SU. Other officials explained that the program is located in Bird Library because it is frequented by a variety of people and groups on campus.

SU officials and alumni handed out $60,000 in cash prizes to SU student entrepreneurs who won the CompeteCNY business plan competition.

blackstone launchpad opening
Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo Editor

Memorial service held to honor late Britny Kabic

Members of the Syracuse University community gathered in Hendricks Chapel on Wednesday to remember and honor the late Britny Kabic. She was a sophomore advertising major who died in Walnut Hall on Feb. 13.

Kabic’s professors, Delta Delta Delta sisters and close friends spoke at the service. Some read poems and others recalled fond memories.

Lani Kineret, one of Kabic’s friends, shared a story about one of her first encounters with Kabic during their freshman year, and said Kabic turned out to be one of the bravest people that she knew.

BritnyKabicMemorial
Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo Editor