Block Party 2016

The Chainsmokers, Chance The Rapper to co-headline Block Party 2016

DJ duo The Chainsmokers and Chicago-based hip-hop artist Chance The Rapper will co-headline this year’s Block Party, University Union announced Sunday.

Alternative artist Jon Bellion will open the show. The concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 29 in the Carrier Dome. Both The Chainsmokers and Chance The Rapper have performed at UU-sponsored events in the past. The Chainsmokers headlined Mayfest in the spring of 2013 and Chance The Rapper performed in front of a sold-out crowd during a Bandersnatch Concert in the fall of the same year.

There will be presale tickets available for full-time SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students from Monday at 10 a.m. to Wednesday at 11:45 p.m. Floor tickets cost $25 and general admission seats cost $20.

The general public price is $34. All tickets will be sold online via Ticketmaster. All tickets must be picked up at the Ticket Booth outside Gate E of the Carrier Dome starting April 18 at 10 a.m.

Block Party follows Mayfest, a daylong event in Walnut Park. The headliner for Mayfest has yet to be announced.

The Chainsmokers have strong New York roots, the duo is made up of SU alumnus Drew Taggart and New York native Alex Pall. They formed the group in 2012, and quickly gained notoriety for their electronic mixes and high-energy performances.

The duo released their debut EP “Bouquet” featuring their hit “Roses,” which dominated the iTunes Top Dance/Electronica Songs chart, holding the No. 1 spot for several weeks.

The Chainsmokers’ debut album is expected later this year with lead single “Don’t Let Me Down” featuring Daya currently sitting at No.4 on the Billboard Dance/Electronic chart.

Chance The Rapper is one of the most wildly recognized young hip-hop artists of his generation. He captivated millions with his first two mixtapes, “10 Day” and “Acid Rap. His jazz-infused style and distinct voice has landed him features with artists like Kanye West, Childish Gambino and Donnie Trumpet. His highly anticipated collaboration mixtape with Donnie Trumpet and The Social Experiment “Surf” was released for free on iTunes in 2015.

Alternative hip-hop artist and songwriter Jon Bellion burst on to the New York music scene in 2014 with singles “Munny Right” and “Carry Your Throne.” His debut mixtape “The Definition” was released later that year to critical acclaim. Bellion is currently working on his debut album, whose lead single “All Time Low” recently earned him the No.1 spot on Billboard’s Emerging Artists chart.

Past Block Party artists include 50 Cent, Kesha and Drake.