Softball

Syracuse softball takes rubber game, 8-4, against Virginia

Eddie Natal | Staff Photographer

Syracuse beat Virginia on Sunday to take the rubber game of the three-game series on Sunday.

Syracuse won the rubber game of its weekend series at Virginia on Sunday, downing the Cavaliers 8-4 in Charlottesville, Virginia. SU (19-17, 6-8 Atlantic Coast) and UVA (13-27, 3-9) split Saturday’s doubleheader.

A second-inning rally put the Orange in front 6-0. Two Virginia errors and six Syracuse singles led to the breakout inning in which Syracuse batted around the order.

Eight SU batters recorded at least one hit in the game. In all, SU banged out 13 hits. Sammy Fernandez, Maddi Doane, Sydney O’Hara, Alicia Hansen and Danielle Chitkowski each had multi-hit games.

In the circle, Jocelyn Cater got the nod. After tossing four shutout innings, Cater didn’t record an out in the fifth, allowing four runs. O’Hara relieved the senior and allowed just one hit in the final three frames. She struck out seven and notched her third save of the year.

Thanks to the sixth inning rally, Cater got the win despite allowing four runs. She improved to 9-6 on the year.

O’Hara hit her fifth home run of the year, a solo shot to right field in the fifth.

Since getting swept by No. 10 Florida State, the Orange has won seven of its last 10.

Syracuse is back at SU Softball Stadium on Wednesday for a nonconference doubleheader against Canisius. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.