Syracuse DB Corey Winfield out of the hospital 2 days after allegedly being stabbed by former teammate

David Salanitri | Staff Photographer

Corey Winfield is out of the hospital after he was allegedly stabbed by Naesean Howard, who was kicked off the SU football team in 2014.

Corey Winfield is out of the hospital and resting at home after being stabbed in his right lower back, upper right chest, left abdomen and left wrist Saturday evening, a source told The Daily Orange Monday evening. Winfield, a defensive back who started for Syracuse last season, was one of two victims, along with teammate Chauncey Scissum, of an alleged stabbing by former teammate Naesean Howard.

Court documents obtained by The Daily Orange on Monday afternoon stated that Winfield was hospitalized in stable condition as of Monday morning. The document also said that Scissum was hospitalized in critical, but stable condition.

The stabbing occurred around 5:50 p.m. on Saturday at 321 Slocum Drive on SU’s South Campus, according to the document. Howard, a former SU defensive back who was kicked off the team in 2014, intentionally and repeatedly used a pocket knife to stab Winfield in four different spots before stabbing Scissum on the right side of his neck, his right upper chest, his left shoulder and his bottom lip, according to the document.

Both Winfield and Scissum were transported, at different times, to University Hospital Emergency Room. Howard was arraigned in city court on $20,000 cash bail or $40,000 bond Monday morning and is due back in court on Friday at 10 a.m.