Letters to the Editor

Student Association leaders encourage students to vote

From Monday, April 11, to Thursday, April 14, students will have an opportunity to vote for the next President, Vice President and Comptroller of Student Association.

We encourage students to be critical of all candidates running for these leadership positions. They’re not running for mere titles, nor are they just leading an organization. As President, Vice President and Comptroller of Student Association, they will be expected to speak on behalf of all 15,000 undergraduate students — and that includes you.

They’ll be invited to speak on your behalf when meeting with university leadership and members of administration. They’ll be asked to share their opinions on crucial decisions that affect the student population. They’ll potentially serve on future workgroups and task forces that aim to better the student experience for all.

In short, these elected officials are given incredible responsibilities and power.

So when you log on to MySlice this week and check off who you’re voting for, check yourself first! Have you researched what these candidates stand for? Do their values align with yours? Do you sincerely believe in their ability to affect positive and necessary changes on this campus?

More importantly though, do you trust them to speak and act on your behalf?

If the answer is yes, then awesome. Go vote! If the answer is no, do your research, become an informed voter, and be able to confidently elect your new student leaders.

Sincerely,

Aysha Seedat, Jane Hong and Phil Kramer
SA President, Vice President and Comptroller, respectively
59th Session