Letters to the Editor

Otto Tunes Executive Board endorses Eric Evangelista and Joyce LaLonde for SA office

I would like to send a formal endorsement of Eric and Joyce’s campaign on behalf of Otto Tunes. Thank you!

On behalf of the Otto Tunes, we are proud to endorse Eric Evangelista and Joyce LaLonde as Student Association President and Vice President, respectively, for SA’s 60th session. As a group of young men who bring the SU and greater Syracuse community together through song, we see a similar vision from Eric and Joyce’s campaign platform, which is committed to collaboration to ensure that the One Syracuse initiatives encompass the Syracuse Community as well.

Members of our group are very active leaders all over campus, ranging from first year students to graduating seniors. The opportunity to perform around campus has only been made possible through the work of the past Student Association leaders. We are confident that Eric and Joyce will pave the way for newly-founded student organizations, such as ourselves, found five short years ago, to be successful in providing opportunities for each and every student on this campus. Their platform of #CARE4SU not only embodies our love for this university but our unyielding desire to make it a better place.

As leaders, we set an example on this campus, which is why it is important for us to promote and exemplify safety and well-being. Eric and Joyce support efforts to improve off-campus safety by working with student leaders and the administration to incorporate security cameras off-campus. They are also leading efforts to improve access to mental health and counseling services on campus.  This starts with moving the Counseling Center off of Walnut Place to make it more accessible to the student body.

Through their combined experience on campus and extensive work in local and foreign communities, Eric and Joyce bring knowledge that will benefit the SUNY-ESF and SU student bodies. Their plans of integrating necessary campus resources into a campus-wide first-year forum will open the door for dialogue amongst first-year students on critical issues, including diversity and sexual assault. We believe that their passion for this university and their desire to listen to their fellow students will bring about necessary changes to create a more diverse and fruitful learning environment. We hope for everyone to vote this upcoming April 11-14 on myslice.syr.edu.

Otto Tunes Executive Board