Observations from Syracuse football’s post-spring depth chart

David Salanitri | Staff Photographer

Syracuse released its post-spring depth chart on Friday. Take a look at some of our reactions.

Syracuse released its post-spring depth chart Friday afternoon. Here are four observations based on the depth chart.

1. Two deep

Antwan Cordy is positioned ahead of Chauncey Scissum at free safety and Kielan Whitner is ahead of Rodney Williams at strong safety. Cordy ended the 2015 season as Syracuse’s starting strong safety with Whitner as his backup, but with Cordy moving over to the free safety position, Whitner moved into a starting spot.

Williams swapped positions from backup free safety, which is where he ended the 2015 season, to backup strong safety. Neither Whitner nor Cordy started the spring football game.

2. Run it back

Sophomore Dontae Strickland is listed as the starting running back after coming out with the first team at the spring football game on April 2. Sophomore Jordan Fredericks is listed behind Stickland. Freshman Moe Neal and redshirt senior George Morris round out SU’s third and fourth spots, respectively.

Last season, Fredericks led Syracuse with 107 rushes for 607 yards and was second on the team with four rushing touchdowns. Strickland had just 21 carries all of last season for 81 yards in the hybrid position. Fredericks is listed at 215 pounds, which is seven pounds heavier than he ended last season.

3. Tight (end) race

Senior tight end Cameron MacPherson is slotted as the starting tight end ahead of senior Kendall Moore and redshirt senior Josh Parris, who has been SU’s top tight end the last two seasons. Parris was expected to lead the group heading into next year, but is now down to third on the depth chart.

MacPherson and Moore played with the first and second teams, respectively, during the spring game with Parris being limited due to injury. Moore has moved around between offensive line and tight end during his career with the Orange.

4. Over the hill

Jacob Hill is listed as a backup wide receiver after being a backup running back last season. He practiced with the running backs and wide receivers during the spring.

PostSpring2016_Depth