Top 10

Murthy: Top 10 tips for Mayfest

Before writing this article, I did not know that classes would be cancelled on this special occasion so you could pass out on a stranger’s garden. With a completely reliable description of Mayfest from Urban Dictionary, I am fully equipped to take Mayfest head-on and face-first, as per tradition. If this isn’t apparent yet, this article — full of advice about Mayfest—is being written by a freshman.

Mayfest is one whole day — in April, mind you — dedicated to celebrate the slow decay of classes as finals week rises out of the ashes. On this day, everybody turns up at Walnut Park to hear some great musicians, witness alcohol consumption rivalling that of frat nights, have a boisterous old time. Pulp went scouting for wisdom from Mayfest veterans to help ensure that a good time will be had by all.

1. Hold the crunk-ness

Lauren Cober, a senior magazine major, gave this precious tip: don’t swig so much you can’t remember what the day is like when you tell your grandchildren about it. Embrace the time with your friends with long-time memory intact.

2. H2O is key — and so is fashion

Nicole Pal, a junior biology major, recommends that you carry a good amount of water AND wear clothes that spell “dress for Coachella if you can’t go to Coachella.” It’s not an and/or situation: both are major key.

3. Take advantage of the free corndogs

You know what that means? You don’t have to spend the usual meal swipe on bread and five oranges. Emily Kenney, a sophomore real estate and finance major, says to get a couple of corndogs. In fact, get as many as you want, it’s your day.

4. FREE COTTON CANDY

Clearly, there are certain things that eclipse The Chainsmokers coming: Paige Paluch, a senior psychology major, remembered the day as one where fingers get sticky from both cotton candy and beer. What a time to be alive.

5. Stick with the squad

Sol Yoon, a senior architecture student, recommends you go with people you’re comfortable getting crazy with. In essence, always take someone who will willingly deal with the eventual hot mess situation that crops up.

6. Get there early

Fashionable is good; fashionably late is a faux-pas at Mayfest. Nicole Paluch, a senior psychology major, says being there early enough to catch the performances is one way to keep things memorable.

7. Be prepared for a reunion

Claudia Delgado, a junior international relations major, said to get pumped, because upperclassmen are about to see some faces they thought they lost and forgotten deep in their freshman dorms.

8. Check the weather beforehand

The odds are that you’re equally likely to get sunburnt as you are to get the hair inside your nostrils frozen solid. So pay special attention to the Weather app next week, said Ethan Roaldi, a senior public health major.

9. Be wary of DPS and adults carefully noting your behavior

“You’re not invisible at Mayfest,” Roaldi added. That means that no more than three selfies may be taken with an overly awkward DPS officer.

10. Get some work done beforehand

With pain in my heart and stress in my brain cells, I regret to remind you that your life will soon crash and burn when Finals hit. Rouldi’s last tip was to get a paper or two done before heading to Walnut Park.

Be a good buddy, have good buddies and have enough fun at Mayfest in April to remember it in June.