Alumni Newsletter

Meet the next editor in chief of The Daily Orange

Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer

Justin Mattingly, the current managing editor of The D.O., covers Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's visit to the Syracuse University campus in March 2015.

Get to know Managing Editor Justin Mattingly (‘17), who was recently named editor in chief of The Daily Orange for the 2016-17 school year.

I never had any intention of being editor in chief. The thing is, sometimes, life hits you. You realize that you have such a robust passion for something, and can’t imagine not doing everything you can to help it succeed.

That’s how I feel about The D.O. I love 744 Ostrom Ave. probably more than any one human should love a place, and I want to do everything in my power to help the longevity of the paper. My plans are centered around that theme — ensuring The D.O. is stable enough both on the fiscal and editorial side to continue long after I exit through the red door for the final time.

I’m from Philadelphia, New York, a small town about one hour north of campus. I’ve wanted to go to Syracuse University, and, in turn, work at The D.O., since I was in grade school. I’m a rising senior majoring in newspaper and online journalism and political science. I study baseball analytics on the side, and I’ve presented at conferences and have been published in economic journals.

I became a news staff writer in the spring of my freshman year. I was fortunate enough to be hired as an assistant news editor for both semesters of my sophomore year, getting to cover topics including an 18-day sit-in; a visit from the secretary of defense; and the shake-up in SU Athletics. With two semesters as an assistant under my belt, I was hired as news editor at the paper, where I focused on developing young writers. I currently serve as managing editor, during which time I’ve been fortunate to work alongside Mara Corbett.

Now, it’s time to take the next step.

I have ambitious goals for both the editorial and business sides of The D.O. On the editorial side, I want to continue our digitally-focused mindset to produce more content on the web while not sacrificing quality for quantity. With a slight reworking of the digital team and an enhanced focus on app development, I hope to have The D.O. set up on the web for the long term.

But none of that’s possible without a financially stable newspaper.

The D.O. has a new general manager, and by working with him to really dive into the numbers and make the necessary adjustments on the business side, I hope to create a thriving corporation. The D.O. does not currently have a strategic plan, and after taking the necessary step of getting an audit, I will work with the Board of Directors to create one.

In my year as editor in chief, we’ll build on what we have, while setting The D.O. up for the future. It’s going to be a great year, and I can’t wait to see what we can do.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected].