Style

Homan: Target worked with Finnish brand Marimekko to launch a collection

In case you needed another reason to run to Target, a new designer collaboration has just hit the stores. Target teamed up with Finnish brand Marimekko and launched a fun, summery collection Sunday.

Target describes the style of Marimekko as simple and spirited, calling attention to “its authentic Nordic sensibility and iconic prints.” Marimekko artist Maija Isola created the vibrant prints and patterns seen in the home and fashion pieces, according to the collection page on Target’s website.

The fashion collection includes swimwear and other summer essentials like tunics and palazzo pants. Beach totes, hats and scarves are the perfect accessories, all in the same prints as many of the bathing suits and clothing pieces.

There are equal numbers of regular and plus-size items available in the collection, a somewhat rare occurrence for a major fashion brand, as it is typical for lines to include plus-size clothing in limited amounts. In addition to the line being inclusive in sizes, it is also inclusive in price — most items in the 200-piece collection are under $50.

Designer collaboration is nothing new for this major retailer. Over the years, Target has collaborated with more than 175 brands, most notably Missoni in 2011, Jason Wu in 2012, Phillip Lim and Prabal Gurung both in 2013, and Lilly Pulitzer last year. However, all of these brands were household names and significantly more well known than this year’s choice of Marimekko.

The previous collaborators’ collections were also seemingly more high fashion than the one that was just launched. While Marimekko has amazing prints and colors, the silhouettes and types of clothes are more geared toward everyday women, versus more fashionable women that previous collections seemed to aspire toward. The simply-cut bathing suits, breezy tops and pants, and practical accessories certainly have an audience, but it may be a different audience than that of the previous designers.

Still, the availability of sizes, inexpensive prices and exciting prints in this collection may make up for any lack of brand awareness or high-fashion qualities. Target appears to be extremely excited for this new launch, and with its history of sold-out collaborations, we will be able to see if shoppers are just as thrilled.

For me, there are a few clear standout pieces in the shop. Check out the Kukkatori print tunic for $26.99 for a cool, mod, flower-power vibe. The blue Kukkatori print palazzo pants are also a definite winner in my eyes.

Overall, this line is fun and simple — nothing too edgy or over-the-top, but a good collection nonetheless. I think it will definitely sell to a certain audience, but I doubt this will be one of the insane sell-outs that we’ve seen with brands like Phillip Lim.

Target is known for its awesome designer collaborations; whether this one will be remembered as such is still up in the air. Check out the collection on Target.com to see for yourself. There are so many pieces that there is likely something for everyone.

Jackie Homan is a sophomore magazine journalism major. You can email her at [email protected] or follow her @jackie_homan on Twitter.