Student Association

Eric Evangelista and Joyce LaLonde named president and vice president of Student Association’s 60th Session

Riley Bunch | Photo Editor

Eric Evangelista and Joyce LaLonde were elected president and vice president of Student Association's 60th Legislative Session on Friday after midnight.

Eric Evangelista and Joyce LaLonde have been named the president and vice president of the Student Association’s 60th Legislative Session.

Evangelista and LaLonde took 1,934 votes out of 4,122 votes cast in the election. Twenty-nine percent of the Syracuse University student body voted in the election, for which polls closed Thursday at 11:59 p.m. Malik Evans was elected comptroller with 1,232 votes.

Evangelista, who currently serves as SA recorder, and LaLonde, who has no SA experience, defeated Charlie Mastoloni and his running mate, Jessica Brosofsky, who both have SA experience.

28129f19-55e2-44e1-98bc-c0ad53aa19e2

Riley Bunch | Photo Editor

SA’s Judicial Review Board took action against Mastoloni and Brosofsky’s campaign this week and announced early Thursday morning that it would deduct 150 votes from the candidates following an investigation into bribery within their campaign.

The investigation began Wednesday morning after Mastoloni’s former campaign manager, Austin Galovski, said in an interview with The Daily Orange on Tuesday that Mastoloni’s campaign had agreed to give former SA presidential candidate Andrew Brendel a spot on Mastoloni’s potential administration in exchange for Brendel dropping out of the race.

Brendel is not allowed to apply for a cabinet position due to the JRB’s concern about his motives during the incident. Galovski is forbidden from serving in any campaign-related activities for the remainder of the election and for the remainder of the Student Association’s 59th session.

In addition to Evangelista, LaLonde and Evans, multiple students were elected assembly representatives to the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Engineering and Computer Science, the School of Information Studies, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the College of Visual and Performing Arts. One student was named an assembly representative to the School of Architecture.