Editorial Board

DO Editorial Board interview transcript: Eric Evangelista and Joyce LaLonde

Editor’s Note: The Daily Orange Editorial Board interviewed each presidential and vice presidential candidate pair in the running for the Student Association’s 60th session. In an effort to provide transparency in the Editorial Board’s endorsement decision, The D.O. has decided to publish the transcript of each interview.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: To start off, can you guys introduce yourselves and tell us about the key points of your platform?

Eric Evangelista: Do you want me to go first?

Joyce LaLonde: I’ll go first so you can do the talking (about the platform). My name is Joyce LaLonde. I am a junior here running for vice president with Eric. Is there anything else I should say?

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: What’s your major?

Joyce LaLonde: Dual policy studies and public relations.

Eric Evangelista: And I’m Eric. Hi, guys. I’m a dual political science, history major. I’ve been a member of the Student Association since my first week of freshman year about three years now. Our platform that we’re really, really proud of and that we think is really going to hopefully do some great things is called C.A.R.E. for SU. CARE stands for committed to collaboration, anti-discriminatory, ready for reform and excited for excellence. And under those four pillars we have dozens of different policy initiatives and platforms that we are hoping to implement over a year of service if we are elected. That will include things like increasing access to mental health care, ensuring that every academic building on campus has undergraduate printing capabilities, expanding — and you guys just put out a lovely article about Syracuse piloting extended library hours — that’s something that I’ve been really passionate about for years. And something that hopefully, definitively we can get that accomplished in a year: is permanently adjusting the times of these facilities on campus. Not just libraries, but all academic facilities. I have a lot of friends who are in the College of Visual and Performing Arts and they have the studios that make sure art is always accessible to them and that’s really unfortunate to me especially because they need those resources to be able to do their work. We want to work with the administration. We want to work with the faculty and staff and the deans of the various schools and colleges to work as best we can to ensure that every student on this campus has the resources they need to succeed.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: Joyce, how long have you been in SA?

Joyce LaLonde: I have never been in SA before. Eric, as he said, is the longest serving member and I am incredibly involved around campus. And so that’s kind of what …

Eric Evangelista: We actually just had this epiphany moment upstairs, but I don’t think there has ever been — as far as I know from my time with SA and having seen several administrations before this one — a presidential candidate and vice presidential candidate — one of whom has been in SA and stayed in SA and one who has never been in SA. As far back as I know, that has never happened. If you want the outsider perspective, someone who is going to bring in a fresh and unique perspective, you have that in Joyce. If you want institutional knowledge and experience, you have that in me. And, you know, Joyce is not coming in blind. She’s coming in with a ton of experience from more organizations that I can name to draw upon. And she’s going to do a lot of great things utilizing that experience. I just happen to know the bureaucracy of SA and the university and how it works.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: So that goes back to the fact that you two haven’t known each other that long. Do you think that will pose any problems as far as having to work together very closely?

Eric Evangelista: We’ve been working very closely together for quite a while now. We’ve been great so far. Do you want to take that one?

Joyce LaLonde: Yeah, sure. So we’ve always known of each other, right? But then this past month or so, we have been inseparable. If anything, it’s more of a complementation. At this point, we are bringing in two different perspectives, two different experiences and so far it’s been lock and key, working very well together and balancing each other out in opinion and in experience. But, at the same time, still supporting each other and so that that relationship dynamic has been very successful. And we can still have fun together, too.

Eric Evangelista: Also, I would like to add, Aysha (Seedat) and Jane (Hong) also did not know each other before they started. So I think there is something to be said for people who don’t know each other and come from different backgrounds suddenly realizing they are a perfect fit and you know …

Joyce LaLonde: Have the same goals in mind.

Eric Evangelista: Have the same goals to better this university and this community. And I will say that the reason it took me so long to find Joyce and the reason we didn’t end up becoming the perfect match until two and a half or so months ago, probably or about that. You know, I didn’t go after Joyce, initially, because I didn’t know her. I only started asking people that I knew, as I think we all kind of would. “Hey, I think you’re really qualified and I think you’re really this. Would you think about running with me?” So I tried that a lot. Probably, seven or eight people before I finally decided to go outside of the people that I knew and I arrived at a couple people — a mutual friend of ours who had been in SA. Phil Porter is his name — he’s fantastic if any of you know him. And he said, “What about Joyce?” and I said, “Well, I’ve never met Joyce. Do you think she would do it?” And so he started acting as kind of the go-between between us.

Joyce LaLonde: Like a middle-school crush, you know?

Eric Evangelista: Like he’s passing the notes between the two of us, like, “Would you do it?”

Joyce LaLonde: And he was like secretly seeing both of our hesitations and easing them so, “Yes or no?”

Eric Evangelista: It was kind of perfect because he’s best friends with both of us.

Joyce LaLonde: And we had always knew of each other.

Eric Evangelista: Yes, they lived on the same floor freshman year and, like I said, I knew him from SA. So yes, always knew of each other. We randomly decided to schedule a meeting and talk to see if she was interested in doing it, and she was. Thank God. I think she told me about three hours later, and I was practically doing cartwheels, you guys. I mean, I was over the moon. I was so excited. There was an SA representative who said to me: You just look like a weight has been lifted and I was like, “Yes. I’ve found the perfect person to run with because she’s fantastic.” She has everything that I don’t.

Joyce LaLonde: That’s the thing, like I wouldn’t have wanted to do this if I didn’t believe in Eric and his leadership and his experience. And that we would be a great complement.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: So you’re an SA recorder, and you know, you have all of these things in SA, so how do you detach yourself from what’s currently being done so that you can to provide those fresh ideas?

Eric Evangelista: Absolutely. Well first, I have Joyce’s soundboard and not only does she bring initiatives herself that she wants to work on and that she has kind of had as ideas for a really long time but just hasn’t had the right platform. She has had platforms, like the policy studies department, but she just hasn’t had the right forum, I don’t think. And I think that SA, what’s so great about it is you do have access to the dean of student affairs, the chancellor, to immediate meetings with the heads of any school of college because they respect the authority that the position carries. Being the official representative of the student body to the university — I think that being able to have that platform is something that she’s going to be able to utilize. I, myself, have had initiatives for a really long time that I have wanted to work on that, you know, for whatever reason or another, I haven’t had the opportunity to work on. You know, when you work on these committees under people, you are sort of delegating what it is that they want you to work on, which is then an extension of what the president and vice president is working on. You know you’re working on their initiatives first and you’re putting sort of what it is you want to do, you’re saving what you want to do, eventually start implementing your initiatives. I’m very proud of having made a significant amount of progress on the university lecture series and that’s been something I have been really passionate about since my freshman year. I worked extensively with a woman names Esther Gray, who — you guys did a profile on her — she’s fantastic. And she unfortunately has to retire a little early, but the university created this faculty-led team … And it was all faculty. And I said to Esther shortly before she left, “You guys don’t have any students on this panel? It’s going to be all academics.” I see the list of people that they recommend? It was all academics. So I said, “You guys need to have student input on here. I don’t care — it should be Aysha (Seedat), she is the representative to the students. You should have her on here.” And she said, “Well, I’ve been working with you for a year and a half, so why not you? She recommended me to the board and they said yes. And I am really excited to say — I can’t say who — that there is someone very exciting that students will be excited for coming to Syracuse next year that would not have been on that list — and I know this because I’ve seen who was on the list. This person will only be coming because I pushed for them.

Joyce LaLonde: And so, really, what that stems from is the committed to collaboration which is the first pillar of our platform, right. So these ideas — it’s all student led, right — the perspectives that each of us have will be all those of the students and that commitment to collaboration is the basis of that.

Eric Evangelista: And that’s what also been great about meeting with as many student organizations as we’ve been in the process of meeting, you know? Our platform is continuously evolving, as it should, because we want to hear what other students have to say. Joyce has one set of experiences. I have a set of experiences. There are 14,998 other experiences that we need to draw upon because we are not just representing the people who are friends with Joyce and the people who are friends with Eric, but we are representing every student to the administration. We are going to continue to collaborate with students, we are going to continue getting their feedback and we are going to continue hearing what it is they see as a problem and see as successful to build on.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: Regarding the Counseling Center, there’s a stigma around it — that you only go if you’re suicidal or have relationship problems and obviously the first options they present on the hotline when you call. Everything else — not gets pushed under the rug, but it’s leave a message here for an appointment and we’ll get back to you. I think a lot of people are scared to come forth to the Counseling Center because A, that stigma and B, that general anxiety doesn’t fall under that umbrella. So what is the best plan to not only raise awareness for the resources the Counseling Center offers but also to make students, I know you can’t make them directly less afraid of that stigma, but to reduce that stigma because 95 percent of the people on this campus with anxiety probably don’t think there is anyone they can go to.

Joyce LaLonde: Ironically, in the same Jerk issue, it was over 60 or 70 — they didn’t have an exact percentage — identified as having anxiety at some point while at Syracuse. And you know, I kind of said this earlier, but one of our — I was just reading this study that the best way to combat the stigma is through contact, contact through other people. And so one of our platforms is this first-year forum experience, which I am already working on, again, outside of SA with the College of Arts and Sciences, right now. But making this one university-wide. So part of that would be the first part, which is making sure the resources that are available, that needs to happen as well. But what is more important is making sure that these students know why these resources are available. And, so, through that first-year forum in the beginning, there would be lecture-style so you know what’s going on and more importantly is that breakdown later on — it’s smaller. Has anyone taken that Intergroup Dialogue-type class? It’s a dialogue setting and that is more of that contact aspect and learning other people’s stories across campus, across the university. Because, again, that is the most effective way to do it. And another big part of that is the transition from the Advocacy Center to the Counseling Center. You know, a lot of students know about the transformation itself, but don’t know why that happened. And, so, that’s another thing that needs to be explained. Another thing I’m really excited about is seeing Schine is being completely uprooted and having that cultural center in there and also the Counseling Center would be in a new space because right now its not in a safe place for students to go. And a lot of the times, seeking out that space depends on how safe you feel going there.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: Why don’t you think it’s in a safe place for students?

Joyce LaLonde: Being on Greek Row. There’s — I mean, I’m involved with Greek Life — but at the same time, walking through that space, the actual physical structure of it. A lot of students just don’t feel safe going there. That was actually another percentage in Jerk.

Eric Evangelista: I think it’s 40 percent of fraternity men or they are 40 times more likely to commit sexual assault than those not affiliated, statistically.

Joyce LaLonde: Okay, I was talking more about people walking to the Counseling Center.

Eric Evangelista: I’m just saying that it’s a bad place and you know that based off of something like that.

Joyce LaLonde: Well, part of that red alert group, part of that first six weeks of college experience is that red zone — so that’s another important part of making sure specifically that those first-year students have knowledge of that. And then, of course, translating that throughout the next three years, right.

***

Eric Evangelista: … (Anxiety) isn’t an uncommon thing. (College) is a stressful environment … Those are the big-picture initiatives and that’s what Joyce does so amazingly well. And I am going to come in and do the finer details. How is it that we can hold the Counseling Center accountable and make sure that students are able to get the access and care resources that they need right now so that a student who has anxiety, who is depressed, who has an eating disorder, who has a substance abuse problem is be able to see someone on a regular basis consistently, if they need to, per week for all four years for the time that they are here. We need to make sure that the Counseling Center is able to offer those resources, plug people in appropriately in the Syracuse community and figure out how can we make sure your insurance lines up with the person that you’re seeing, how can we make sure that you get there on time, how make sure we can find someone that can fit into your class schedule with the Counseling Center aside from the services that they do which they make very clear are not meant to be permanent. Focusing on one issue for a short period of time and then they will hand you off to someone. And they do that. I know that they do. But they aren’t doing well enough, and they need to do more.

Joyce: But the stigma comes from creating a safe space on this campus.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: I know this was obviously a hot-button topic last semester. It felt like every week there was an email that so-and-so has been robbed at their off-campus apartment and the whole not-campus shooting, but the whole thing in Oakwood. And I feel like a lot of people felt very unsafe just walking on Euclid (Avenue) and such a big population lives there. And as you get further down to Livingston (Avenue) and Westcott (Street) and a girl just got robbed and assaulted there. I know the talk of the Blue Light. What are the tangible things you guys can do to make people feel more safe in the off-campus apartments that they have to live in?

Joyce LaLonde: I think we will answer your off-campus questions and then I feel very passionate about the Oakwood shooting so I will answer that one separately.

Eric Evangelista: The Blue Light, is an interesting — we know, based on actual evidence and it’s pretty easy — we know that the Blue Lights are ineffective. They’re pretty sporadic, they’re not — there isn’t one on every street corner, they’re not easily accessible and they are very expensive and hard to maintain. There is a myriad of issues with Blue Lights. The simple fact is that they’re not effective. We have an amazing student, Alex Lynch, has been doing a ton of work with the DPS officers, the Syracuse, New York, police, Mayor Stephanie Miner, with the administration, with every key player in ensuring student safety in Syracuse, New York, and just the university and in the wider Syracuse, New York, area. And like I said, he’s a member of our campaign team. We approached him to make sure that we were getting the accurate, 100 percent truthful information. This was just not, you know, things that we are finding on the web. He has done extensive research, more so than anyone else I have ever met. So much so that the university is finding a position for him to further the work that he is doing. So we have this person we are able to use endlessly as a resource. So he has created this spectacular plan to incorporate cameras around the off-campus community — 49 of them, to be exact … But we know that cameras, just for the sake of being there, prevent crime and reduce crime rates drastically. So, you know, even just having those cameras there and not having someone sitting at a camera watching it 24-7, we just know the presence of them being there is going to reduce crime. Of course, I don’t know by how much, I’m sure the report can tell you. But I don’t have that number with me. We also know that if something happens, we do have those cameras there, and we can go back to the footage and we can identify male or female, between 1 and 3 a.m. and it sounded like I heard a car door open and close. You can isolate the time that someone has been there and you can do whatever you need to do to identify a person and make sure that whoever is disrupting the safety of the community is brought in and taken care of as soon as possible to ensure that these repeated instances do not occur. So we are 100 percent committed to working with him because this plan has by Chancellor Syverud, by Mayor Stephanie Miner, by DPS and by the Syracuse Police. It’s been approved by everyone. And it’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of how long it is going to take. We don’t know that there’s … we want to work on it as soon as possible. SA, if we are elected, will start to contribute funds for it. We are really excited to continue working with him. We are really excited to have him as a part of the campaign team. We know that we are getting the most up-to-date, the most factual information possible. We know that if someone else is saying these things, maybe its about Blue Lights, maybe its about whatever, that this is the plan that has been approved and this is the plan that’s going to take effect. It’s just a matter of putting the right people into the Student Association office to make it happen as quickly as possible.

Joyce LaLonde: That kind of goes back to the earlier question of identifying these great policies and great students, but also having the Student Association support these ideas. I’m going to also tackle how that applies to the shooting. I was in D.C. last semester. And so, what I saw — I have a cousin in SPD, so I also got updates from him. But I was also monitoring the student reactions. I was looking at the students being terrified. It was really off-putting to me because there is a huge disconnect between the Syracuse community and Syracuse University. To me, that was exemplified during that time period. And a lot of it, this is more my side of it, is bridging those gaps. I know there was a really great film produced by the film fraternity and a partnership with the CCE major (citizenship and civic engagement) on youth violence in Syracuse and to me, a lot of that can be done through curriculum. So near west side what the university supports. It’s just learning about what’s going on outside of this bubble, we like to say right? All that’s contextualized and in order to have these conversations about diversity, about inclusion on this campus, you have to include the community because that’s where it all starts. And so I am very passionate about that. And through curriculum, I think that can be done. This is something I have talked to the administration is to bring that through the curriculum because it is mutually beneficial. Journalism majors do it all the time — going out and reporting these stories, finding out what is going on. Architecture students, have in the past, kind of in a way by working with the near west side initiative designed sustainable homes and that is something great. An architecture student can say they designed a sustainable home for the Syracuse community. Now the near west side is benefitting a lot the community. So having that campus-community relationship is also very important.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: As an SU student, why should I care about the greater Syracuse community if I am here for the university, why should I care?

Joyce LaLonde: Yeah, so in that instance, what I am talking about curriculum is that it’s something to put on a resume and it also makes you a better person.

Eric Evangelista: I think there are a lot of students who feel that way, and I can get that a big part of that is just learning. Your parents made you eat vegetables when you were five. You didn’t want to do it, but it’s good for you. So I guess that theorizing can be applied to community service. And not just through community service, internships or professional preparation programs or something like that, so long as you’re able to get the experiences and are willing to help you, but, by some extension, help someone else in some way, shape or form. I’m at intern at Congressman Katko’s office. And just today I had a woman calling me about Medicaid and asking me all of these really, you know, kind of big questions that were certainly over my head and I was able to — not to inflate my ego or anything — but to calm her down and said let me put you in touch with someone who is going to do their very best to help you in every way that they can. And I was able to do that. That’s a small, teeny-weeny, little service that I can do, but it’s making sure that she’s getting plugged in with the person that she needs to who can actually help her. So that’s one very specific experience, but I think that this university and this community have tons of those opportunities that we can offer and if we can just, just help students figure out where exactly they fit into that greater plan of helping the community, we will all ultimately benefit.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: Kind of a big thing going on right now is Fast Forward. What would you do to kind of promote Fast Forward awareness and push forward those initiatives?

Eric Evangelista: So, in the past, the Student Association has actually had events with Fast Forward. They rented a bouncy house and gave out cups and Frisbees and stickers and all kinds of stuff. So, you know, in line with that, we are going to work with the students who are going to be able to get these things done. I’m not an event planner, but I know a lot of people who are really amazing at that and who have events like that to promote those sorts of initiatives that she is working on. I think there are a number of ways to do that and you can see that through that are independent of the Fast Forward initiative. People run to the quad for, you know, Puppy Day. You rent 10 puppies for the quad and you tie it in with the Fast Forward initiatives. And that, you know, there are such a wide array of things — as someone who is in SA …

Joyce LaLonde: And Fast Forward is sort of like the platter for the taking, right. These initiatives are obviously all very important and have been established as needed.

Eric Evangelista: It’s really — it goes back to the dual purpose. SA certainly has the money to fund some sort of event … but we can certainly make sure that students are as informed as possible, while ultimately making sure they benefit in some way, shape or form. So if you get to play with a puppy for five minutes on the quad, guys. And oh, the puppy has a little sweater that says “Fast Forward” on it, it’s like everybody wins.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: Where do you stand on the Student Athletic fee?

Eric Evangelista: We actually talked to Otto’s Army about that a few weeks ago, which is really great I have a friend who is at the University of Miami and she told me once, “Oh, we don’t pay anything for our student fees.” And I was like, “And Our tickets are like $400 to go see men’s basketball and football?” The University of Miami is similar to our campus in terms of size and prestige — it’s a school that’s most similar to us. Why is it that they’re not paying for their tickets and we have to do that separately outside tuition — the fact of the matter is that that cost is just absorbed. Their tuition is probably higher. In fact, it is slightly higher because of things like that — because there are a ton of unseen charges that just go into the tuition. Then you get financial aid and financial aid pays into that and scholarships pay into that. So you don’t really know that the cost is there, it’s just in that giant breakdown: There’s your tuition, there’s your communications fee, there’s your student activity fee — it’s hidden in there and that’s something that I think a lot of students would benefit from, just knowing that the resource is there, its available if you want it. If you don’t, it’s not necessarily going to have a direct impact on you because it is a part of your tuition and if you choose to use it, great. If you choose not to use it, that’s fine. You might be using something else that another student doesn’t use. If you’re in an organization like University Union for example, you’re using a lot of the Student Activity fee, probably about $1million a year of the money that your fellow students have contributed toward that giant pot of money. That’s one way that you are able to utilize those hidden tuition fees. And then, being able to absorb that student activity fee into tuition is just another way of doing that. So we would work with the Office of Athletics, with the Bursar’s Office, with whoever we need to get that is going to be a reality. There are all kinds of semantics that go into that considering that Syracuse does not own the dome and we have to think about how much does the venue actually cost, do we have the right to sort of access that just because it’s on the Syracuse University campus — it’s all sorts of things. Unfortunately, I don’t think that aside from people who are in Otto’s Army or who are Aysha, who has been working with them really closely to try to make progress on this, I don’t think anyone is really well-versed in what it is that we need to be doing specifically. I can say that it’s something I totally support. I can say that every year, tuition goes up by about 3 percent and financial aid goes up by like 6 percent. So, it’s ultimately just going to benefit a really wide margin of students and it’s really not going to be such an impact that … tuition bills.

Joyce LaLonde: And I guess my issue is that, kind of taking another stab at it from a different direction, would be you’re putting a worth on these sports that they are held to a higher standard, that they are worth going to — that the basketball team is worth going to and that the women’s basketball team isn’t is another way to look at it.

Eric Evangelista: Absolutely and, you know, you guys also wrote something recently about — or one of your reporters did, I’m sorry — wrote something about women’s sports should be held as high a caliber as men’s sports and that’s absolutely true. A student I was just speaking with today was on the women’s basketball team and I said, “I am so sorry that people only started getting really excited once you guys were in the championship game — first time in program history — after the men lost in their Final Four game.”

Joyce LaLonde: And still then, not even.

Eric Evangelista: Yes, and still. As a member of the Student Association, we were able to help fund the buses toward Houston — three buses to Houston, one to Indianapolis and do you know what a struggle it was trying to fill that bus to Indianapolis? We couldn’t pay an SA member to be the supervisor for that trip. And it’s just incredibly disheartening. It’s just furthering the disparities between all types of people, whether it’s gender, whether it’s racial, whether it’s socioeconomic, whatever it is. And that’s a part of that anti-discriminatory part of our platform that we don’t get to talk about a lot because it gets lost in the muddle of …

Joyce LaLonde: Well, it fuels everything else.

Eric Evangelista: Those two, the community collaboration and anti-discrimination pillars as a part of our platform, feed into the larger concepts of reform which is the small-scale initiatives that I hope to implement with the large-scale, big picture initiatives that Joyce …

Joyce LaLonde: So any large or small-scale thing will be anti-discriminatory and there will be collaboration.

Eric Evangelista: Yes. There you go. So I would just say that it’s really to make sure that in terms of athletics, in terms of everything, but particularly in terms of athletics, when you are eating this cost, you are able to show them that it’s going to directly benefit every sports team. It’s not just going toward men’s basketball and football. It’s going to help pay for every team. It’s going to help pay for equipment, uniforms, facilities, whatever it is. So it’s spread a little bit more in a general sense.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: If you guys don’t get elected, what do you plan to do?

Eric Evangelista: Stay in SA. There will be nail marks on the ground before I leave the Student Association. I’ve been there for three years, and I’m not leaving now. I can’t speak for Joyce, she will probably speak on it in a second, but she’s killing it on campus. She’s been killing it for years.

Joyce LaLonde: Yeah, a lot of these initiatives and academic curriculum I’m kind of working on outside of SA and that I will try to keep doing.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: Going off of that, could you please tell us about your involvement on campus and what kinds of projects you have worked on that could benefit you moving into SA, potentially?

Joyce LaLonde: Well, I’ll tell you a little bit about what I am doing right now. First of all, I just went on that community rant which stems from a lot of the work I’m involved in. So I run a tutoring program at the Boys’ and Girls’ Club, pay Syracuse University students to go and tutor those kids. I have done research consulting for homeless shelters in the Syracuse community and ran data analysts for the city on housing vacancies. I’m on the Board of Directors member for Nourish International, which is an RSO here, but I am a board member of the actual nonprofit. My freshman year — that was kind of what I stepped foot on the first week back. I sent and went with 14 SU students to rural Uganda and have continued with that project every single year since. So, last year we sent 8, this year we are training up our interns now, so that’s important. And the model for that is during the year we do assisting with business ventures on campus and in the local community. Did a lot with Citrus (TV). Right now, I am working on developing a skills experience center on campus. So what that would be is on the editorial board, I could give you three credits. And, so what this means, is furthering the importance of those internships, those real-life skills that you are gaining. I know you guys are here dawn to dusk, right? Or more? So, adding that on to 18 credits, that would be a lot, I would assume. So taking those last three credits from 16 to 19 and getting three credits for the work you are already doing is essentially making sure that this outside work is being celebrated and used. Doing that this whole summer, I will be here doing that. Working on developing a relationship between undergraduate and graduate programs. Specifically, I am a policy studies major and so that’s really me realm of influence right now, but I am also working with a pre-med fraternity on theirs, but it goes back to holding the administration accountable. We kind of preach these great relationships we have with the grad schools now, but a lot of students want to do the MPA program which was for the 8th consecutive year is the best program in the country, right. So why don’t we have a 3-plus-2 program? Pre-med, we really kind of preach this relationship we have with Upstate a block away, which we should have this great relationship, but most universities would take advantage of the early admission program into this med school. So it’s kind of looking at those this summer as well. This summer I am also working with the city’s business for home development and working at the near west side initiative.

Eric Evangelista: She always makes me feel lazy.

Joyce LaLonde: Oh, and we are orientation leaders — pretty cool.