Schools and Colleges

Craig Boise named dean of Syracuse University’s College of Law

Syracuse University has named Craig Boise the dean of the College of Law, the university has announced.

Boise, who will assume the rule on July 1, will come to SU from the Cleveland State University’s Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, where he has been dean since 2011.

“Craig Boise is a dynamic and forward-thinking leader who is equally passionate about quality, access and enhancing the student experience,” said Michele Wheatly, vice chancellor and provost-designate, in an SU News release.

In addition to Cleveland State University, Boise has also made previous stops at DePaul University’s College of Law, where he was a professor, and Case Western Reserve University’s College of Law in Cleveland, where he was an associate professor. His law scholarship has focused on United States corporate and international tax policy and offshore finances, according to the release.

Boise has previously practiced law in New York state and is still admitted to practice in the state, according to the release.

William Banks, who was serving as interim dean of SU’s College of Law, will return to his positions as the Board of Advisors Distinguished Professor of Law and director of the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism, according to the release.

Boise’s appointment comes after a search that began in September. The Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees approved his appointment earlier Thursday, according to the news release.