Editorial Board

Centralizing SU’s health services key to enhancing student wellness

The Campus Framework plan’s proposal to centralize Syracuse University’s health and wellness services places necessary emphasis on accessibility and convenience — key components that will help ensure students are paying proper attention to their mental and bodily health.

Andrew Elmer, a representative from Kansas City-based architecture firm Populous, presented the suggested design updates to Archbold Gymnasium and outlined each of the renovated complex’s four levels at student input sessions for the Campus Framework plan last week.

Elmer said the renovation would mold Archbold to be a “holistic” health and wellness center on the SU campus. Among other features, the anticipated 18-month project would house the Counseling Center, a pharmacy and a wellness facility designed for treatment purposes. The updates would also resolve problems that currently make Archbold inaccessible for people with physical disabilities.

Transforming certain pockets of the SU campus into “hubs” to accommodate specific aspects of student life has become a discussion point since the introduction of the Campus Framework plan. And in identifying Archbold as a primary source for improvement on a campus where related facilities are inconsistently spread out, the university administration has rightfully prioritized services that affect the students, staff and faculty members of SU.

The move to create an accessible and comprehensive indoor facility would transform SU’s resources by fostering a singular space to meet any personal health needs of university community members.

The measure would generate increased motivation for students who may feel more inclined to address their personal mental and physical health needs knowing everything can be taken care of in one place. The centralized facility would minimize the stigma surrounding mental health services because physical exercise resources would be housed in the same building and takes into consideration that year-round outdoor exercise is not feasible during the winter months.

If the SU Board of Trustees approves the renovations, the Women’s Building would effectively become SU’s central exercise and recreational area during the construction period. And while the new six-lane lap pool and instructional pool for beginner swimmers are being built in Archbold, the university should keep the reservation-only Sibley Pool in the Women’s Building open for recreational swim to maintain the accessibility and convenience it is working to achieve through the Campus Framework plan.

This rational approach — to Sibley and primarily, the Archbold renovations — will ensure students are equipped with the proper support to preserve their personal health and wellness during the renovation period and after.