Schools and Colleges

College of Law to establish online degree program

The online course would be a online hybrid juris doctor degree program.

Syracuse University’s College of Law has announced the creation of an online hybrid juris doctor degree program.

The program will be developed by the College of Law’s faculty in partnership with 2U, an educational technology company that partners with colleges and universities to offer online degree programs. The program is pending approval from New York state and the American Bar Association, according to an SU News release.

The program will feature live, face-to-face online courses and will also include in-person learning and on-campus courses, according to the release.

“This hybrid program will continue our tradition of innovation and excellence in legal education,” said William Banks, the interim dean of the College of Law, in the release.

The program will allow the College of Law to expand its mission “to provide modern legal training for tomorrow’s lawyers and leaders, including those who cannot easily attend a fully residential program,” Banks added.

“This partnership will enable the College of Law to reach talented students nationwide and allow us to grant unprecedented access to Syracuse Law’s outstanding legal education,” SU Chancellor Kent Syverud said in the release.

Five other schools at SU have contracted 2U to create online degree programs, including the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, the School of Information Studies, the College of Engineering and Computer Science and most recently, the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.

Andrew Hermalyn, 2U’s executive vice president and regional general manager who oversees the company’s relationship with SU, told The Daily Orange in February that 2U’s goal is “to help universities become the best digital versions of themselves.”