Week in Politics

Catch up on the week in state and local politics

Moriah Rater | Staff Photographer

Clinton and Trump sweeped the New York state primaries this week.

Here is a roundup of everything you might have missed this week:

Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and Bill Clinton campaign in Syracuse

Over the weekend, a former United States president and two presidential hopefuls campaigned in Syracuse for New Yorkers’ votes in Tuesday’s primaries. By Saturday, every major presidential candidate had stopped in Syracuse.

Business mogul Donald Trump drew protesters as well as supporters at his campaign rally on Saturday. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) made a stop in Cicero, about a 15-minute drive from Syracuse, on April 15, where he promised to defend religious freedom.

On Saturday, former president Bill Clinton also campaigned in Syracuse on behalf of Hillary Clinton, who came to Syracuse on April 1. He outlined her plans to reduce student debt and mass incarceration, among other issues.

Trump and Clinton dominate New York state primaries

Business mogul Donald Trump and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton won both New York state and Onondaga County on Tuesday in New York state’s primaries. Both were expected to win.

Trump earned 60.4 percent of the vote and Clinton earned 58 percent, according to The New York Times. Trump won every county in the state except Manhattan, which went to Ohio Gov. John Kasich. Clinton won the counties around New York City, as well as Onondaga, Erie and Monroe counties.

Some students faced problems at the polls if they weren’t registered with the correct party or had their registration mishandled. Many filled out affidavit ballots, which are approved at the discretion of the Board of Elections.

$150 million to aid push for renewable energy

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the availability of $150 million in state funds on Thursday that will support large-scale renewable energy projects. The funds will aid private-public partnerships in particular.

These funds are part of the drive to make 50 percent of New York state’s electricity carbon-free and renewable by 2030, according to a press release from the governor’s office. The plan is for these funds to spur and aid private investments in these clean energy projects.

Democrats take lead in race for Skelos’ open seat

The empty seat of former Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos has spurred a heated race between Democrats and Republicans. As of Tuesday night, Democrat Todd Kaminsky had 780 votes more than Republican Chris McGrath, according to Syracuse.com.

Kaminsky declared victory, but Senate Republicans refused to concede, citing absentee ballots and a possible recount. Although the outcome of this election could cause one party to take over the majority of the Senate seats, the rules of the Senate will keep control of the Senate’s hands.

Prosecutors seek at least 14-year jail sentence for Silver

Prosecutors in former New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver’s public corruption case have asked for him to be sentenced to prison for longer than any other state legislator guilty of public corruption. This would be at least 14 years, according to Syracuse.com.

U.S. District Judge Valerie Caproni will sentence Silver on May 3. He has been found guilty of multiple public corruption crimes, including one count of monetary transactions involving crime proceeds.

The court’s Probation Office has recommended that Silver serve 10 years.