Mayfest 2016

5 things to know about Louis The Child

Courtesy of University Union

EDM duo Louis The Child will perform at Mayfest on April 29.

Composed of Robby Hauldren and Freddy Kennett, electronic dance music duo Louis The Child will be one of three acts at Mayfest on April 29, University Union announced Tuesday.

Here’s what you need to know about the Chicago-based duo before their performance.

1. They’re teenagers
Haulden and Kennett are 19 and 18, respectively, and have already racked up 50 million streams in a little over a year. They’ve also received endorsements from artists such as Taylor Swift, Skrillex and Lorde. Unless you’re a freshman, they’re probably younger than you and have a lot more to show for it.

2 “It’s Strange” was their breakthrough moment
Their debut single “It’s Strange” featuring alternative artist K. Flay was released in 2015 and put them in the spotlight. Since its September release, “It’s Strange” peaked at No. 1 and No. 2 on Spotify’s Viral Chart and Worldwide Viral Chart, respectively, and will be featured on the FIFA 2016 soundtrack. Even pop icon Taylor Swift said it’s one of her new favorite songs.

3. Snapchat says we should watch them
Last December, Snapchat named Louis The Child one of 2016’s three EDM artists to watch. The reveal came out of Snapchat’s “EDM story,” which took users through the EDM artists that defined 2015. In addition to Louis The Child, Snapchat also named British electronic music producer Mura Masa and Vancouver-based duo Bob Moses as the other two acts to watch.

4. Icona Pop joined them onstage at Coachella
After playing the BUKU Music + Art Project in New Orleans last month, Louis The Child performed at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Los Angeles this past weekend. They were joined onstage by Swedish female duo Icona Pop to debut their new collaboration.

5. They’re working full steam ahead
The duo’s not stopping any time soon. In addition to their first headlining tour and playing at Coachella, they’re also close to finishing their EP and will release new material over the summer. They’re also set to make performances at a few other festivals this June, including Governors Ball in New York City and Firefly Music Festival in Dover, Delaware.