Block Party 2016

5 things to know about Block Party opener Jon Bellion

Courtesy of University Union

Jon Bellion is an independent artist who's not only written his own songs, but ones for Eminem and Rihanna.

University Union is bringing Chance the Rapper and the Chainsmokers to the Carrier Dome for the annual Block Party on April 29. Tickets will go on sale Monday at 10 a.m.

But before the co-headliners take the stage, Jon Bellion will warm up the crowd. Here are five things you should know before the show:

1. He’s written for Eminem and Jason Derulo

Besides writing his own music, Bellion’s written some big hits. He claims songwriting credit for “Monster” by Eminem and Rihanna, and Jason Derulo’s “Trumpets” is also on his résumé.
Besides these big hits, Bellion is also credited as a composer for Cody Simpson, Zedd and Cee Lo Green.

2. Kanye is his role model

Bellion took Kanye’s album title “College Dropout” to heart.

He told the Huffington Post that after hearing that album, he dropped out of college. Inside college, he felt confined by the pressure of classes, and said he would rather learn about music organically.

But unlike Kanye, he said he’s “humbled” by his success as an artist.

3. He’s his own producer

For Bellion’s most recent album “The Definition,” he not only wrote all his own songs — he produced them. He’s not just a self-made artist, also producing tracks on Jason Derulo’s “Talk Dirty” and Andy Grammer’s “Magazines or Novels.”

4. He’s all about independence

Reluctant to get into what he thinks is a money-hungry industry, Bellion doesn’t want to be confined to a record label. Instead, following the lead of artists like Radiohead, he adopted a “pay what you can system” to make sure everyone can hear his tunes.

“There shouldn’t be a barrier to anyone to listen to my music,” Bellion told the Huffington Post. “If they support my dream, it means more to me to give it to them.”

5. He’s a ‘90s kid

Bellion grew up listening to plenty of ‘90s and ‘90s-influenced artists. His tastes ranged from rapper Jay Z to punk rockers Sum 41 to the soft indie Band of Horses. He told the Huffington Post that all those artists are reflected in what he turns out today.