Football Recruiting

3-star wide receiver Daewood Davis flips commitment from Syracuse to Florida Atlantic

Courtesy of Daewood Davis

Class of 2017 wide receiver Daewood Davis decommitted from Syracuse on Wednesday afternoon.

Daewood Davis, a three-star wide receiver from Somerset (Florida) Academy Charter, flipped his commitment from Syracuse to Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night.

This decision ends the 6-foot-2, 170-pound wideout’s dream of hoisting a national championship trophy for the Orange.

“I wanted to commit before my season started,” Davis said on June 29, 2015, his original commitment date. “I (wanted to build a relationship) with the coaches and the players early.

“… I think Syracuse is the place for me.”

The Pembroke Pines, Florida native was originally recruited by former SU head coach Scott Shafer and became the first Class of 2017 commit. At the time, he held offers from Louisville, North Carolina State and Nebraska, among others.

Davis is graded as an 80 on ESPN.com, ranking as the class’ 38th best wide receiver and 228th overall out of the site’s top 300 rankings. He also now holds offers from Duke, Florida International, Miami, Penn State and West Virginia.

Davis said multiple times throughout his commitment that Florida State was his dream school and that he’d flip his commitment if the Seminoles offered.

Three day before Davis’ flip, an unranked wide receiver from Florida, Sharod Johnson, committed to Syracuse. The Orange now has three commits in its 2017 class, New York linebacker Isaiah McDuffie, New Jersey quarterback Tommy DeVito and Johnson.