Weekend Preview

What to watch out for this weekend

Hillary Clinton, who has spoken at SU, will come back to Syracuse to campaign on Friday.

Here are some events to check out this weekend:

NVRC design competition lecture

The second lecture in the National Veterans Resource Complex design competition series will take place on Thursday. William Sharples of SHoP, one of the firms in the running to design the NVRC, will speak about his firm’s work and architectural viewpoint.

The School of Architecture is hosting the series. It will take place at 6 p.m. in Slocum Hall Auditorium and is open to the public.

Women’s Leadership Initiative lecture

The Women’s Leadership Initiative will bring Roni Dean-Burren to Syracuse University to discuss her activism work. Dean-Burren made national headlines last year when she pointed out that a McGraw-Hill Education textbook called African slaves “workers.”

Her posts on Facebook and Twitter went viral, and the video she made featuring the book, which was used in her son’s classroom, received almost 2 million views, according to The New York Times.

The event will take place in the Schine Student Center from 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday. It is free and open to the public.

Laura Freixas discusses famous Brazilian author

As part of her residency as the Humanities Center’s 2016 Jeanette K. Watson Distinguished Visiting Professor, world-renowned Spanish author Laura Freixas will give a lecture on Clarice Lispector, another famous writer.

Lispector, who died in 1977, has become increasingly popular since her death and has become one of Brazil’s most important modern writers.

The event is open to the public and will take place from 4 to 6 p.m. in Bird Library on Thursday. The lecture will be delivered in English.

Cripping the Comic Con

The fourth annual “Cripping” the Comic Con symposium will be held on Friday in the Schine Student Center. This year’s theme, “Deaf-initely Ironic … ?,” will discuss irony and humor and how they affect discourse around disability in popular culture, according to a SU News press release.

The event will include two keynote speakers, who are comic creators, and a plenary session. It is free and will run from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., when they will show a screening of “Inside Out.”

Hillary Clinton to come to Syracuse

Presidential candidate and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will campaign in Syracuse on Friday. She will host a roundtable discussion on manufacturing and an organizing event.

The details of the roundtable have not been released, but the organizing event will be held in the F Shed, Central New York Regional Market near Destiny USA. It will start at 2 p.m.

The event is open to the public, but those interested must RSVP.