2016 NCAA Tournament

No campus arrests were made after SU men’s and women’s basketball teams advance to Final Four

Despite there being a strong police presence on and around the Syracuse University campus, no arrests were made on Sunday as a result of the men's and women's basketball teams securing spots in the Final Four of their respective NCAA Tournaments.

No arrests were made on or around Syracuse University’s campus Sunday, police said, despite there being a strong police presence in the area before and after the men’s and women’s basketball teams secured spots in the Final Four of their respective NCAA Tournaments.

Prior to Sunday’s games, students gathered at Castle Court and elsewhere near campus before many of them moved to bars such as Chuck’s Cafe to watch the games. A number of students then returned to Castle Court and other places around campus to celebrate after the men’s and women’s basketball team topped the University of Virginia and the University of Tennessee, respectively, in their Elite Eight games.

Officers from the Syracuse Police Department and SU’s Department of Public Safety were continuously monitoring the area, but no arrests were made, said Sgt. Richard Helterline, an SPD spokesman.