Mahoney expresses support for merger in State of the County address

Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer

Joanie Mahoney, who was elected for her third term as Onondaga County executive in November, spoke about the possible merger between the city of Syracuse and Onondaga County during her State of the County address on Tuesday.

Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney expressed support for a recently proposed merger between the city of Syracuse and the county at her State of the County address on Tuesday night.

The independent group Consensus, composed of legislators and community members, released a preliminary report in January that recommended the creation of a city-county government.

In her call Tuesday night for the governments to consolidate, Mahoney criticized those who have been less open to the merger and argued that the idea of consolidation shouldn’t be treated like a new one.

Mahoney said it’s “been a little disappointing but not at all surprising to hear the negativity” surrounding Consensus’ proposal.

“Negativity is easy,” Mahoney said. “Have you ever stopped to think about that? ‘No’ is much easier than ‘yes.’ If you say ‘no’ to everything, then you have no work to do. But ‘yes’ is hard. And ‘yes’ takes a lot of work.”

At recent town hall meetings held by Consensus, community members — including some Syracuse common councilors — have repeatedly expressed concerns about the benefits of the merger, with some complaining that the Consensus report does not specifically address Syracuse’s high concentration of poverty among minority groups.

Mahoney said she overcame similar negativity when some were critical about the feasibility of the creation of the Lakeview Amphitheater, which opened last September and which Mahoney said will positively impact the economy.

The county executive also emphasized Tuesday that governments have long discussed merger possibilities, citing articles and editorial boards regarding the issue from The Post-Standard and The Syracuse Herald-Journal. The articles and editorial boards date back to 1993, Mahoney said.

“So, please, as we engage in yet another community-wide debate about consolidation, dust off your history books,” she said. “This isn’t happening last minute. It isn’t too quick.”

Since proposing the merger, Consensus officials have held several town hall meetings across the county to garner public opinion. Consensus has three more scheduled meetings, according to its website, and is expected to release a final report on May 1, when the public comment period closes.

The preliminary report includes recommendations in economic development, governance, infrastructure, municipal operations and public safety, with consolidation among the recommendations for each of those areas.

That includes the consolidation of the Syracuse Police Department and the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, the unification of village and town courts to establish a regional court system and the development of purchasing and training agreements.

Mahoney said the Consensus report contains “impressive data,” which includes an estimate that the merger could immediately reduce government spending by as much as $20 million.

Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner, who was present Tuesday evening, has been less vocal in terms of taking a position on the potential merger. At her State of the City address late last month, Miner simply encouraged community members to review the report.

Mahoney on Tuesday cited New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s support for the merger. Cuomo said last month that there would be a “serious problem” if the governments don’t merge, according to Syracuse.com.

In addition to addressing the merger, Mahoney also highlighted her accomplishments in 2015, which included a year-end surplus of $11.5 million, improved infrastructure and initiatives to invest in the community’s youth.

But Mahoney closed the night urging the county legislature members as well as the common councilors in attendance to consider moving forward with a merger, arguing that the city isn’t getting stronger without one.

“Maybe it’s time to actually do something,” she said.