Speakers

Madeleine Albright to speak at Syracuse University

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University will host Madeleine Albright, the first female U.S. Secretary of State, on April 5 for the Tanner Lecture on Ethics, Citizenship and Public Responsibility.

UPDATED: Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 5:30 p.m.

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright will be coming to Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs to deliver the Tanner Lecture on Ethics, Citizenship and Public Responsibility.

The event will take place on April 5 at 3 p.m. in Hendricks Chapel. The lecture is free and open to the public, but people interested in attending are strongly recommended to RSVP, according to an SU News release. The event will also be available via livestream.

The lecture was originally planned to be held in the Maxwell Auditorium, but it was moved to Hendricks due to a large number of early RSVPs, said Jessica Smith, director of communications and media relations for Maxwell, in an email.

In 1997, Albright was named the first female secretary of state for the United States. She served as secretary of state under former President Bill Clinton until 2001.

During the Tanner Lecture on Ethics, Citizenship and Public Responsibility, Albright will discuss her 40-year career in international affairs in addition to threats and challenges in U.S. foreign policy, according to the release. Maxwell Dean James Steinberg, who was previously the deputy secretary of state from 2008-11 under Hillary Clinton, will join Albright during the event.

Steinberg, who has been Maxwell dean since 2011, announced on Sept. 1 that he will be stepping down as dean at the end of the 2015-16 academic year.

President Barack Obama awarded Albright the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor in 2012, according to the release. Currently Albright is chair of Albright Stonebridge Group and chair of Albright Capital Management, an affiliated investment advisory firm focused on emerging markets.