Veterans and Military Affairs

JPMorgan Chase gives $13.8 million to support Syracuse University’s IVMF

Former Chancellor Nancy Cantor cuts the ribbon to open Institute for Veterans and Military Families, which is housed in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, at Syracuse University

JPMorgan Chase & Co. has announced a renewed $13.8 million commitment through 2020 to support the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) at Syracuse University.

The renewal was made in conjunction with SU, and comes five years after the two entities co-founded the institute in 2011, according to an SU News release. JPMorgan Chase is still the institute’s largest corporate contributor.

The $13.8 million pledge will “support the institute’s mission of advancing the post-service lives of America’s service members, veterans and their families,” according to the release.

“The past five years have seen improvements across the board in how our nation understands and supports veterans and military families, in no small way due to the work of the IVMF,” said Matt Zames, chief operating officer of JPMorgan Chase, in the release. “Our continued collaboration will build on that growth and introduce new research and programs around employment, small business and financial capability for veterans and their families.”

Zames, veterans, officials of JPMorgan Chase and Mike Haynie, IVMF executive director and vice chancellor for veteran and military affairs at SU, presented IVMF with a giant check during halftime at the men’s basketball game against North Carolina State on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.

“JPMorgan Chase’s renewed commitment and support will make a real difference for today’s service members, impact generations to come and continue Syracuse’s legacy forward,” Chancellor Kent Syverud said in the release.

To further its support for IVMF, JPMorgan Chase also funds the Veterans Career Transition Program, a tuition-free, online career development program for post-9/11 veterans and military spouses at SU, according to the release. More than 4,600 certificates have been earned, and more than approximately 1,800 are currently enrolled in the program, according to the release.

Haynie added that the monetary and promotional support IVMF receives from JPMorgan Chase will allow the institute to service many more veterans in years to come.

“With JPMC’s ongoing support, I am confident that our partnership will enable us to continue to serve those who have served, much like we did in 2015, assisting more than 32,000 transitioning service members, veterans and their families,” Haynie said in the release.