University Politics

Introductory reception held for provost-designate Michele Wheatly

Brett Samuels | Senior Staff Writer

Michele Wheatly addressed members of the SU community inside the Life Sciences Complex on Monday afternoon.

Michele Wheatly said she felt right at home in the Life Sciences Complex, which is where she spoke to members of the university community at an introductory reception on Monday.

“I will work my heart and soul out for Syracuse University,” Wheatly told the crowd of students, faculty and administrators.

The reception was Wheatly’s first time speaking publicly to the campus community. She was named vice chancellor and provost-designate on Friday. She will join the SU staff from West Virginia University, where she previously served as provost and now serves as special assistant to the WVU president, on May 16.

Wheatly talked for about 15 minutes about the value of a liberal arts education, how her academic background and opportunities shaped her career and what attracted her to the job at SU.

unnamed
Courtesy of Steve Sartori

Wheatly’s remarks were preceded by comments from Chancellor Kent Syverud and members of the search committee, who all praised Wheatly and the work of the search committee.

Wheatly said a search like the one that led to her hiring is often about finding the right fit. The two things that made SU the right fit for Wheatly were quality and access, she said.

“I’ve led a life very focused on quality in everything I do,” Wheatly said, referring to her interactions, her research and her instruction. “And I see Syracuse University as a place that emphasizes quality.”

She also said she views SU as an institution that has “gotten out ahead on the issue of access” and embraces people’s differences. It’s important to bring people together from different backgrounds and to view things in different ways in thinking about the world’s problems, Wheatly said.

Wheatly also touched on the need for cooperation in order for her to be successful. She called on those in attendance to accept her as the new provost, trust her and teach her. She emphasized the need for communication, especially with the impending implementation of the Academic Strategic Plan, a component of Syverud’s Fast Forward initiative.

Even though I know a lot about higher education, I don’t yet know the Syracuse community and culture inside Syracuse University.
Michele Wheatly

Syverud and three members of the search committee came to the podium before Wheatly, and each spoke briefly about what made Wheatly the best candidate for the job. Search committee chair Charles Driscoll rattled off Wheatly’s accomplishments and called her “the right person at the right time” for SU.

Tej Bhatia, a professor of linguistics, said finding the right provost was critical to the success of the College of Arts and Sciences, particularly given the implementation of the Academic Strategic Plan.

Aysha Seedat, president of the Student Association and the lone undergraduate representative on the search committee, said Wheatly seemed like the best candidate from early on in the process. She said she wanted the next provost to be someone who would engage with students on academic issues, but be a visible face in the community.

“I wanted a provost who students would want to take a selfie with on the Quad and who students could see at the Dome,” Seedat said.

Wheatly closed by telling those in attendance that she knows what the job entails and that it’s time intensive, but that she’s prepared to put in what’s necessary to be successful.

“I will be there with you all the way, and I will do everything I can to be successful so Syracuse University 10 years from now can be an even better place,” she said.