Style

Homan: Tricks to borrow from the French runway

As Fashion Month says “au revoir” this week in Paris, designers and street-style stars are ending with a bang and going all out with that French ‘je ne sais quoi.’ Borrow some tricks from les Français this season to switch up your wardrobe and take on that cool Parisian vibe.

The Full Skirt:

A voluminous skirt is amazing for twirling, which alone is enough to solidify its place on this list. A big, flouncy skirt also immediately dresses up any top and makes it ultra-feminine. Balance out the whim of the bottom with a simple top and a structured jacket.

The Leather Loafers:

For men, one of the biggest differences between American fashion and French fashion is the level of dressiness. Besides the occasional Chuck Taylor, French men typically sport leather dress shoes with a slightly pointed toe. Ditch your Nikes and sweats for a nice pair of shoes to go with an upgraded wardrobe.

The Necktie:

When it starts to warm up outside, women can make a simple scarf swap to French-ify their wardrobes. Switch out an oversized blanket scarf for a thin choker-style neck scarf. Whether you go with a silk square or even a bandana, a French knot in your scarf can take your outfit to the next level.

The Oversized Shades:

French fashion has a lot to do with simplicity, as the French embody a pared-down look. To follow this style guideline, keep accessories minimal with one exception: your sunglasses. Whether you choose flat-top shades, cat-eye shapes or classic aviators, don’t leave this accessory at home. And when the sun goes down, instead of sticking them in your bag, hang them on your shirt or display them atop your head.

The Camel Coat:

For both men and women, a camel coat is so French and so sleek. It stands out from a sea of black and looks significantly more stylish. The color also goes with anything, so it is perfect to wear with almost any outfit you already own. For winter, a wool camel coat looks elegant on everyone, while something lighter like a camel-colored trench coat is a key layering piece for the spring.

The Layers:

Coats on jackets on sweaters on button-downs on silk camisoles, maybe with a scarf on top of the pile — We can learn some layering tricks from our French style icons. The French seem less concerned with having everything perfectly match and look like a set. Instead, the more layers the better, and it’s alright if it looks a little thrown together.

The Beauty Routine:

Women’s makeup is much simpler in Paris than in America. In the U.S., we often struggle to achieve flawless skin and focus on creating a glow with foundation, contouring, bronzer, blush, highlighter and more. French women tend to go for an all-natural glow instead, focusing more on skincare than on daily makeup. Same goes for hair: French women avoid the fussiness of straighteners, curlers and intricate hairstyles. Wear your hair and makeup natural or nearly natural to truly embrace the French look. Très belle.

The Quality:

If there is one style lesson to take away from the French for both men and women, it is that it looks nice to dress well. That means leave behind your stretched-out cotton leggings or athletic pants and old sweatshirts. Even for just walking around, Parisians choose to look their best with quality clothing. A part of this is quality fabrics: leathers, silks, cashmere. Another aspect is choosing well-made clothes over fast-fashion brands like Forever 21 and H&M.

All in all, French people know how to get dressed up, and that is what we can aspire to when styling ourselves à la française.

Jackie Homan is a sophomore magazine journalism major. You can email her at [email protected] or follow her @jackie_homan on Twitter.