Fast Forward

Few updates given on future of the Carrier Dome at framework update session

Luke Rafferty | Staff Photographer

The future of the Carrier Dome is still being assessed as a part of the Campus Framework, said Kevin Quinn, senior vice president of student affairs. An update session for the Campus Framework was held in Goldstein Auditorium on Wednesday.

While the future of the Carrier Dome is one of the most talked about parts of the Campus Framework, the Syracuse University staple was only touched upon briefly at a framework update session Wednesday.

The Dome’s future is still being assessed as part of the Campus Framework, SU Senior Vice President for Public Affairs Kevin Quinn told The Daily Orange on Wednesday morning.

Much of the landscape surrounding the framework, which is meant to serve as an architectural plan for the university moving forward, was discussed at a framework update in Goldstein Auditorium on Wednesday with about 300 attendees, including Director of Athletics Mark Coyle, Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala and Chancellor Kent Syverud.

Not only will the Dome serve athletic purposes, but, as part of the framework, it will become a stronger part of the Academic Strategic Plan, said Michael Speaks, dean of SU’s School of Architecture, at the presentation. He added that the Dome will fit in with ACC-level facilities.

The Campus Framework is one of three components of Syverud’s Fast Forward initiative, along with the Academic Strategic Plan and Operational Excellence. The university hired Sasaki Associates, a Massachusetts-based architecture firm, in 2014 to help with the development of the framework.

SU has been weighing three options for the future of the Dome: replacing the current roof as is, installing a new roof structure while simultaneously making other improvements or building a different stadium off-site.

meetinghendricks
Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

In January 2014, local officials discussed the possibility of building a new, off-site stadium in the city of Syracuse with the help of state funding. Mayor Stephanie Miner appointed a task force to look into the possibility of a new stadium, while Syverud created a workgroup to look into the viability of the Dome’s roof. The workgroup released its report relating to the current lifespan of the Dome in May 2015.

In February 2015, the university hired Populous, a global architecture firm that specializes in designing sports facilities, to help assess the options. Populous has 13 offices worldwide and six offices in the United States, and has designed stadiums such as Kyle Field at Texas A&M University.

SU released a survey in May 2015 seeking responses from both students and the general public to garner input on the Dome. Dennis Pieprz, a representative from Sasaki Associates, said Wednesday that the survey received more than 20,000 responses.

The university hopes to have a decision regarding the future of the Dome made by the end of this academic year, Syverud said in October.