Briana Day controls the paint in 73-56 NCAA tournament win against Army

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletic Communications

Briana Day took two charges and grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds in Syracuse's blowout win over Army.

Briana Day slid across the baseline and lifted her arm in the air. The 6-foot-4 Day towered over Army’s 5-foot-7 Destinee Morris. After leaving Morris’ hands, the ball had only been in the air for a split second before Day swatted it out of bounds and into the front row of seats.

Even in Syracuse’s 73-56 win, Black Knights head coach Dave Magarity remembered the play distinctly.

“I’m sure Destinee Morris will have nightmares of that block,” Magarity said.

The No. 4 seed Orange (26-7, 13-3 Atlantic Coast) blew out No. 13 seed Army (29-3, 17-1 Patriot) on Friday afternoon in the Carrier Dome in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament, 73-56, and Day served once again as the defensive stalwart she’s been all year. While only recording three official blocks, she got her hands on several other shots, took two charges and had a game-high 12 rebounds.

Six-foot-2 Aimee Oertner, Army’s tallest consistent contributor, picked up four fouls within the first three quarters. She only played 17 minutes in total, allowing Day to have her way inside.

“We tell our kids to let it fly when they are open, you don’t want to be indecisive,” Magarity said. “But, you may want to incorporate a ball fake in there.”

Army’s offense was flustered the entire game. It ranks first in the country in 3-point percentage at 41.6. It averages 70.7 points per game.

On Friday, the Black Knights scored just four first-quarter points and 10 in the second.

“We didn’t want to foul,” Day said. “Just playing clean basketball, that’s what we talked about.”

Orange head coach Quentin Hillsman stressed to his team that when Army does get to the basket, either block the shot or take a charge. Day did both.

While Day made her presence felt on the defensive end, she also did it on offense. Her game-high six offensive boards elongated possessions and played a part in SU’s 21 second-chance points. Only one other time this season, has Day recorded at least three blocks and six offensive rebounds.

“At the end of the day, she was a tremendous anchor,” Hillsman said, “and got us extra possessions. She had a good game.”

A little more than three minutes into the second quarter, Day helped trap Oertner near the sideline at halfcourt. Oertner went to pass the ball to a teammate in the middle, but Day lifted her arms up, engulfed the passing lane and knocked the ball down to herself. Day dribbled half the length of the court and laid in the finger roll. On Army’s next possession, Day stuffed the Black Knights’ Aliyah Murray underneath the basket.

Syracuse will next take on Albany on Sunday in the Round of 32. Great Danes forward Shereesha Richards ranks sixth in the country in scoring. But Day’s performance against Army was another example in a season filled with them of the influence she can have.

“I don’t know a lot about Albany but we’ve played good teams with good post players,” Day said. “I don’t think it’s going to be a challenge.”

It certainly wasn’t one against Army.