Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse voted top ACC team and 3 players named All-ACC in preseason poll

Mike Okoniewski | Syracuse Athletic Communications

Syracuse attack Kayla Treanor (21) was named to the preseason All-ACC team on Thursday. She was a Tewaaraton Award finalist in 2015.

Syracuse has been voted the Atlantic Coast Conference’s top team in its preseason coaches poll, released Thursday. Additionally, senior attacks Kayla Treanor and Halle Majorana along with senior defender Mallory Vehar were all selected to the preseason All-ACC team.

The Orange, reigning ACC tournament champions, received five first-place votes. North Carolina, the 2015 national runner-up, placed second while Notre Dame and Duke ranked third and fourth, respectively. Boston College and Virginia tied for fifth as Louisville and Virginia Tech rounded out the bottom of the poll.

Treanor was a Tewaaraton Award finalist last season and is the defending two-time defending ACC Offensive Player of the Year. She notched 91 points in 2015, 60 goals and 31 assists, while leading the ACC with five game-winners. Two of those came in the ACC tournament, where she won MVP after beating Boston College in overtime in the quarterfinals and North Carolina in the championship game.

Majorana also record 91 points, though she tallied 55 goals and 36 assists. She scored three goals in the ACC championship win and earned All-ACC first team honors.

Vehar was another ACC All-tournament player for the Orange last season when SU beat the No. 4, No. 3 and No. 2 teams in the nation in 96 hours. She led the team in caused turnovers last season with a career-high 27 and finished second for the Orange with 38 ground balls.