Syracuse University given top tier ranking for research activity

Syracuse University was given on Monday the top tier award for research activity among all American universities with doctoral programs by the 2015 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

SU moved from an R2 designation — meaning a “higher research activity” — in 2010 to an R1 designation in the most recent rankings, which are issued twice a decade, according to an SU News release.

The distinction is based on an evaluation of recent data that helps the Carnegie Classification analysts gauge research activity across other doctoral universities, according to the release. Research activity criteria includes factors such as research and development expenditures, research staff and number of doctoral conferrals.

In the latest rankings, SU was one of 15 universities in the U.S. to move from an R2 designation into the top category, according to the release.

Liz Liddy, interim vice chancellor and provost at SU, said in the release that this classification is a “powerful recognition” of the university’s efforts to grow and expand its research.

“We have already identified research and discovery as a key focus area in our academic strategic plan, and this is one more step in the right direction,” Liddy said in the release. “I am proud of my colleagues across all of the schools and colleges and look forward to many future accomplishments.”

Created by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, and first published in 1973, the Carnegie Classification is the industry standard for ranking institutions based on their research activity, according to the release.

The Carnegie Classification identifies doctoral universities as institutions that awarded at least 20 research or scholarship doctorates in 2013-14, according to the release. This does not include professional practice doctoral degrees.

A total of 335 institutions were classified as doctoral this year, according to the release. In addition to being ranked as R1 or R2, a university could also possibly receive the ranking of R3, or moderate research activity.

Peter Vanable, interim vice president for research at SU, said in the release that the university’s R1 ranking is a “strong affirmation of faculty scholarship.”

“It acknowledges the great work that our faculty are already doing,” Vanable said in the release. “This is a proud moment, but there is much more we can do to effectively build on this momentum, and we plan on doing just that.”