Softball

Syracuse splits first 2 games of season at Sportco Kick Off Classic

Allie Wahl | Staff Photographer

AnnaMarie Gatti pitched a shutout in game one of Friday's doubleheader for SU's first win of the season.

Syracuse kicked off its season by splitting the first of two double-headers at the Sportco Kick Off Classic in Las Vegas.

The Orange avenged its 4-2 loss to Long Beach State last season, beginning the 2016 campaign with a 1-0 victory over the 49ers. Sophomore AnnaMarie Gatti got the win, pitching all seven innings and allowing seven hits and only one walk.

Syracuse got its only run and three of its four hits in the third inning. Olivia Martinez opened the inning with a single and advanced to second on a bunt single by Rachel Burkhardt. After the next batter was retired, Sammy Fernandez loaded the bases on a single to right field.

With two outs, Sydney O’Hara walked, bringing in the only, and eventual winning run.

After retiring the first batter of the seventh inning, Gatti allowed the next two players to reach base and then loaded the bases on an error by second baseman Alicia Hansen.

However, Gatti was able to work out of the jam, retiring the final batter of the game on a groundout to close out the win.

The Orange struggled offensively in its second game as well, recording only four hits for the second straight game. Jocelyn Cater allowed only three hits, but took the loss as Syracuse was unable to score in a 3-0 defeat to Lamar.

In its first ever matchup with the Orange, Lamar got on the board early and didn’t look back after scoring in the first inning on a Cater wild pitch.

The Big Red put the game away on a Sable Hankins two-run home run in the sixth inning.

Syracuse will continue play in Las Vegas Saturday against No. 9 Oklahoma and UNLV.