Tennis

Syracuse beats Tulane, 5-2, to start season with 4 straight wins

Syracuse (4-0) found success in its first road game of the year as the Orange defeated No. 72 Tulane (1-4) by a score of 5-2 on Saturday.

Though falling behind early after losing in its doubles matches, SU was able to string together a five-point comeback in singles.

The whole team started off slow. In the first doubles match, graduate Anna Shkudun and junior Valeria Salazar fell 6-4. Soon after, Maria Tritou and Nicole Mitchell lost 6-2, securing Tulane’s first point of the match.

However, the match turned around for the Orange after that.

Shkudun took home her singles match 7-5, 6-2. Her doubles partner soon followed, as Salazar locked up a win by the score of 6-1, 6-1.

Freshmen Gabriela Knutson and Dina Hegab cruised to yet another win. Knutson won her singles match 6-1, 6-1.

Hegab on the other hand, struggled early. After falling in her first set 4-6, she bounced back with 6-2, 7-5 wins. Both Hegab and Knutson are undefeated in singles play thus far.

Tritou took home the fifth point for Syracuse, defeating her opponent 6-3, 7-5. The only singles loss came in a hard-fought battle between Libi Mesh and Tulane’s Jacqui Katz. Mesh fell behind 5-7, before taking home the second set 6-4. The third set resulted in a super tiebreak, as Katz came out on top 1-0 (10-8).

Syracuse’s next match will be on the road once again, as SU will play Yale (0-3) on Friday at noon.