SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (Feb. 22)
Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer
Here are three takeaways from the Syracuse University Student Association’s meeting in Maxwell Auditorium on Monday night:
1. Athletic attendance, fee
SA President Aysha Seedat brought up her concerns about student attendance at SU sporting events. She said that while attendance at men’s basketball games is strong, the same is not true for attendance at other SU sports team’s home games.
Potential solutions that SA proposed for the attendance issue included creating a system in which students could receive redeemable points for attending certain events and offering prizes such as jerseys, signed posters and apparel at games.
Seedat also discussed a proposal originally created last semester for a $100 student athletic fee that would cover the cost of football and men’s basketball season tickets. Seedat said she has been conducting research on other schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference that have similar fees.
2. Career Services Assessment
The SA assembly discussed concerns and ideas that it hopes to have addressed in SU’s upcoming review of its career service operations. Those concerns included evaluating companies that recruit on campus and discussing certain problems that arise in regard to recruitment situations.
The SA assembly elected the following members at the meeting:
- Board of Elections and Membership Chair: Tracey Ford
- BEM Board members: Paulina Colon, Janine Bogris, Michelle Guo, Lavina Sabnani, Sudan Zhuang and Obarima-Yaw (Obi) Opoku Afriyie-Baah
- Finance Board Members: Maria Baires, Dominik Weber and Charley Dominguez
- SA seat on Finance Board: Jack Harding
- Class of 2019 Alumni Representative: Drew Jacobson
- Member on the Judicial Review Board: Katie Rochefort
Published on February 23, 2016 at 1:05 am
Contact Nina: firstname.lastname@example.org