Student Association

SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (Feb. 15)

Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

SA President Aysha Seedat provided an update Monday night on her efforts to bring Uber to Syracuse.

Here are three takeaways from Monday night’s Student Association meeting in Maxwell Auditorium:

Cuse Conference

Student Association President Aysha Seedat told the assembly that this year’s Cuse Conference will take place on April 24 and added that planning for the event is underway.

This year’s event will be the second annual conference. It aims to bridge the gap between students, faculty and administration, with members of each constituency being able to share their thoughts on different issues.

Efforts to bring Uber to New York state continue

Seedat told the assembly that she is working with the ride-hailing company Uber to set up lobbying efforts in Albany. Ride-hailing services are currently illegal in New York state because of insurance laws.

But a vote on bill A.6090 — which would change state law to include ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft in its insurance regulations — is expected to take place in late March or early April, Seedat said.

Elections

The assembly conducted elections for eight positions, including six assembly representative spots and positions on the University Senate and the Judicial Review Board.

The assembly elected Julie Jung to represent the College of Arts and Sciences, Edward Shao to represent the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Fanta Cherif and Caitlin Smith to represent the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, Spencer Kopko to represent the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and Madison Albert to represent the School of Information Studies.

Additionally, the assembly elected Evanna Ojeda to be an undergraduate representative on the University Senate and Danit Maor to the Judicial Review Board.