New SU executive chef works to bring healthy changes to dining halls

Connor Martin | Staff Photographer

Parvinder Singh was born and raised in New Delhi, India. His culinary ambitions were inspired by the street foods and vendors in his home city.

While Syracuse University students have different backgrounds and experiences, dining hall food is something many share.

The challenge is not only to feed a large student population, but to cater to their tastes, trends and cravings. It’s a tall order for anybody. Parvinder Singh, the new executive chef for Syracuse University Food Services as of this semester, is ready for the task. With two decades of experience in the university food industry, Singh is grounded in his connection with students and staff.

“You’re not just serving one neighborhood, or one socioeconomic class,” Singh said. “I get to serve a population full of different people, with different perspectives on life, different value systems and different attitudes.”

This understanding is a result of a lifelong passion for food, he said. Growing up in New Delhi, India, Singh was surrounded by street food and vendors that laid the foundation for his future culinary ambitions.

Bustling markets gleamed with rich colors of produce and effused aromatics that captivated the senses.

“The smell of food being roasted, fried, sautéed coming from every corner,” Singh said of the market’s atmosphere. “The colors and textures of the produce, and smells produced by the food vendors were so intoxicating.”

2916_P_Parvinder_ConnorMartin_SP_WEB1

On family visits to rural areas of North India, food and cooking provided much more than just sustenance — it became a source of entertainment. From then, his sentimentality toward food was formed, creating “a depth of meaning” during his childhood that he’d like to incorporate into his job today.

“I’d like to see that reverence revived,” he said.

After attending culinary school, Singh worked and traveled extensively across Europe and Southeast Asia, drawing upon influences from places like Germany, England and Brussels.

“More than anything, it has given me inspiration and courage,” Singh said of travel. “You have to have both of these to act creatively. Travel is one of the easiest ways to access these creative emotions.”

His decision to come to the United States was fueled in part by this desire to expand his perceptions. Singh, a Sikh, also said that it was unsafe for people of his faith in India at that time.

When he moved to the U.S., he continued his education in culinary arts and began exploring the array of cuisines found in America. He’s worked in at least three states — including Massachusetts, Vermont and Oklahoma, but it took some time to adjust to the American way of life. Singh said:

I did not speak much English, had very little money and did not understand the cultural norms here. I had a lot of things to adjust to all at once.
Parvinder Singh

After a couple years living in America, Singh was able to work in hotels and restaurants, eventually owning his own restaurant. This gave him experience in menu planning and concept design, which has since helped to guide him at the university level.

David George, director of SUFS, said in an email that Parvinder has made an impact already.

“He is enthusiastic about food, and has tested and introduced several new items to our residential dining centers,” George said.

Singh said he’s hoping to add more plant-based, healthy items to SU dining centers. Last week, he tried out a grain bar — a concept that’s similar to the stir fry station.

Mark Tewksbury, assistant director of food services, echoed many of the same feelings that George expressed, saying it’s been a pleasure to work with Singh so far.

“(He) has been working closely with our cooking staff to create excitement around his new recipes and ideas,” Tewksbury said. “I’m certain students will notice the impact he will have on their dining experience.”

2916_P_Parvinder_ConnorMartin_WEB2

The role of the executive chef is also more than just testing recipes or cooking to Singh. He describes chefs as “artists, consumers, creators, shoppers, businesspersons, accountants, nurturers, chemists, nutritionists, liaisons, entertainers, supporters and community builders.”

Singh also looks at the bigger picture. Influenced by the “genuine quality that comes from the natural resources of the earth,” Singh is motivated to include more local agriculture into the dining halls.

He wants to work with the local farmers in the central New York area so students can have access to the freshest and healthiest ingredients available. He said his three years working at Cornell University introduced him to the fertile grounds of the area. He also wants to continue controlling SU’s food waste and composting so that the university is more sustainable.

But ultimately, Singh wants to bring new options to the food served at SU. Singh said it’s an honor to be at SU and recognizes the growth that both he and the community will go through in this transition.

“Change is that never-ending constant that we all love and fear,” Singh said.