Meet Monday

Junior’s raw vegan diet helps him lose 100 pounds

Prince Dudley | Staff Photographer

Ethan Tyo, an SU junior, started his raw vegan diet almost a year ago, and has used his transformation to inspire others via social media.

Nearly one year ago, Ethan Tyo traded fast food for fruits, veggies and 7 a.m. workouts. Now, 100 pounds lighter, Tyo said he is happier, more confident and seeking to inspire and enlighten people about healthy nutritional choices.

Tyo, a junior information management and technology major, said he was weary and dissatisfied with his past lifestyle. He decided to become a raw vegan overnight, switching to a diet of only uncooked and unprocessed foods containing no animal products.

“The first few weeks were crazy, but then after that I felt phenomenal,” Tyo said.

From a young age, Tyo was told from doctors that he was likely to have health issues such as obesity, heart disease and diabetes due to his family history and lifestyle. Growing up on a small reservation in New York, Tyo said his family did not know much about nutrition and bought whatever was inexpensive and tasted good.

Tyo’s health kick started when he bought his own juicer and began experimenting with fruit and vegetable combinations. He began learning about nutrition through blogs and active YouTubers.

Many of his pizza-loving friends have questioned the amount of options available for raw vegans. However, Tyo said he looks at his lifestyle as a creative outlet and fun challenge. Diversity in his food is never a problem, since he creates new foods and recipes for himself every day.

Tyo began posting his foods and mason jar-packed juices on Instagram, where he now has nearly 5,400 followers. Next, he wants to get more people involved with his carefully made vegan creations with possibly a blog or YouTube channel. By advocating important health changes online, he hopes to rebuild some of what he sees on campus today in terms of healthy options.

“The lifestyle I have now has liberated me from my past and has helped me grow,” Tyo said. “I’m fitter — I’m more in shape than I have ever been in my life.”