F*ck Cancer throws parties to fight disease

While most cancer awareness programs host events such as walks, conventions, and promotional sales where proceeds go towards cancer research, one student and her family had another idea: throwing full-fledged parties under the title F*ck Cancer.

When sophomore Claire Greenbaum lost her mother to ovarian cancer six years ago, she, her father, and two siblings wanted to do something to spread awareness for all cancers in honor of their loved one and other families affected by cancer.

On February 4th, which happened to be World Cancer Day, I got to speak with the Communications and Rhetorical Studies major about her mother and the organization she and her family developed.

“My mother loved to party,” Greenbaum said. “We wanted to raise money in a fun way.”

On Tuesday, February 9th, Greenbaum will be throwing Syracuse’s first F*ck Cancer party at DJ’s on the Hill at 10:00 pm.

The Greenbaums launched their first F*ck Cancer party in November 2010 in their home of Montreal. 300 individuals in in their community came together in F*ck Cancer t-shirts to support the Greenbaums and anyone else affected by cancer.

Since then, the Greenbaum family has collaborated with another individual from Vancouver who also has an organization under the title F*ck Cancer, and has thrown parties in Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, and in various Canadian college towns.

“It’s cool because even though it’s just like a regular party, there have been so many instances where I’ve been at a Fuck Cancer party where people just come up to you and share their stories and everything,” Greenbaum said.

The organization got its name F*ck Cancer after Claire’s mother said those exact words when she was asked by a nurse how she was feeling post-lung biopsy.

That moment was pivotal for the Greenbaums and thought it encapsulated the family’s four-year experience.

Greenbaum highlights the importance of F*ck Cancer being an accessible and enjoyable way for the younger individuals to show their awareness for cancer.

What sets Fuck Cancer apart from other cancer awareness programs is that it gives the younger generation an opportunity to give back.
Claire Greenbaum

“What sets Fuck Cancer apart from other cancer awareness programs is that it gives the younger generation an opportunity to give back,” Greenbaum said. “I know for most organizations and campaigns, it’s mostly directed to the older generation to donate money. This way, it’s not that expensive and people can get a fun experience out of it.”

Admission for the F*ck Cancer party at DJ’s on Tuesday is not a ticket, but rather the individual wearing a F*ck Cancer t-shirt which is received after purchasing the $20 ticket.

“Each shirt comes in a different color representing a different type of cancer,” Greenbaum said. “For instance, if you’ve been affected by breast cancer, you can get a pink shirt or if you’ve been affected by leukemia, you can request an orange shirt.”

Claire has had the help of her friend, Nicole Engelman, with the organization of the event, specifically with the t-shirts and to spread the word around campus.

“I know how important F*ck Cancer is to Claire and her family and I was so happy I got to help in any way I could,” Engelman said. “It’s a great feeling when you do something that’s bigger than yourself.”

Greenbaum has usually helped with selling tickets and promoting the event, but this is the first event where she has fully taken charge.

She’s watched her sister coordinate parties in LA, which she does for a full-time job, and has been able to learn from what she has done.

All proceeds for all F*ck Cancer events go towards programs that focus on early detection, prevention and psychosocial support as well as funding for screening in some of the biggest hospitals in North America.

To get tickets for the F*ck Cancer event DJ’s on February 9th, Claire can be reached at [email protected].

“Every time I am able to help out with Fuck Cancer, even if it’s something little or something bigger like this Syracuse party, I feel like I’m doing something for my mom and I feel like her legacy is still alive,” Greenbaum said.