Week in Politics

Catch up on the week in city and state politics

Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

Joanie Mahoney advocated for a merger between the City of Syracuse and Onondaga County this week.

Here is a roundup of the week in city and local politics:

Onondaga County GOP endorses candidates

The Onondaga County Republican Committee endorsed candidates running for public office this year at its meeting on Feb. 6. The only contested endorsements were for county judge positions and the 127th Assembly District seat, according to Syracuse.com.

The committee endorsed Manlius Town Councilor Vince Giordano for the state assembly seat as well as Onondaga County homicide prosecutor Matt Doran and Skaneateles Town Councilor Robert Coville for the two vacant county judge seats.

Rep. John Katko (R-Syracuse), the incumbent for the 24th Congressional District, was endorsed unopposed.

Gov. Cuomo announces university and college grants

$35.3 million will be distributed to New York state universities and colleges to make reparations for facilities, New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday. The funds will come from the Higher Education Capital Matching Grant Program, under which grantees must match every dollar awarded with three dollars of their own, according to a press release.

Utica, a former branch campus of Syracuse University, was among the 29 schools chosen for a grant. SU was not among them.

County executive advocates for metro government

Joanie Mahoney, the county executive of Onondaga County, said on Wednesday at a meeting with the Syracuse Media Group editorial board that the City of Syracuse would become insolvent if it does not merge its government with Onondaga County’s, according to Syracuse.com.

Mahoney also said the state may take over the city’s finances through a fiscal control board.

Mahoney has been a longtime advocate for a merger, according to Syracuse.com. Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner said the city’s financial state is not as dire as Mahoney portrayed, according to Syracuse.com.

Gov. Cuomo outlines benefits of $15 minimum wage

The New York state Department of Labor released a report on Wednesday outlining the effects a $15 minimum wage would have on the state and its regions. The policy would increase wages by $15.7 billion statewide and cause job growth, according to the report.

In central New York, 32,181 people currently earn the minimum wage of $9, according to the report. Increasing the minimum wage in central New York would lead to a $632.5 million reinvestment in the economy, according to the study.

Diane Dwire announces bid for 126th Assembly District seat

Democrat Diane Dwire, a Camilius resident, announced she would once again challenge Gary Finch (R-Springport) in the race for the 126th Assembly District seat. Finch narrowly defeated Dwire two years ago to win the seat, according to Syracuse.com. The votes were split 55 percent to 45 percent in favor of Finch in that race.

The Onondaga County Republican Committee endorsed Finch at its Feb. 6 meeting.