Week in Pulp

Week in Pulp: Syracuse local collects typewriters, Connective Corridor tries to engage students and more

Riley Bunch | Photo Editor

Syracuse local David Hawxhurst’s garage is filled with his keyboard collection.

This week Pulp has shared stories about motivational letters, why you shouldn’t skip your breakfast and the German operetta “Die Fledermaus.” Click the headings below to check out each of the full stories.

Connect the dots

Pulp-graphics

Lucy Naland | Design Editor

The Connective Corridor bus route conveniently wraps through the Syracuse University campus and through downtown Syracuse. Linda Dickerson Hartsock, director of the Connective Corridor, cited visibility and accessibility as goals of the organization. Some highlights to check out on the Connective Corridor routes include La Casita Cultural Center, Syracuse Stage and The Museum of Science and Technology.

More Love Letters

love-letters

Devyn Passaretti | Head Illustrator

After sophomore Abby Rose Sugnet opened an anonymous letter full of love, compliments and praise, she decided she wanted to do the same for someone else. The magazine journalism major started a chapter of the organization More Love Letters at Syracuse University. More Love letters is an organization that lets people nominate others to receive hand-written, uplifting letters.

Just his type

12716_P_Typewriter1_RileyBunch_PE

Riley Bunch | Photo Editor

There are 122 typewriters in David Hawxhurst’s garage. The Syracuse local has spent 25 years collecting Smith Corona Typewriters. The collection could be worth close to $100,000. He views his collection as an homage to the city’s history — once nicknamed “Typewriter City.” It earned this nickname in the 20th century when Syracuse became a major hotspot for producing typewriters, at one point producing 75 percent of the world’s typewriters.

#OscarsSoWhite

Movie columnist Erik Benjamin gives his take on this year’s controversial Oscar nominations. Benjamin argues that the system of the greater film industry and Hollywood are to blame, while the Academy is simply a reflection of this societal illness and not a cause. Weigh in on the debate in the comments section.