Week In Review

Week in News: NVRC design finalists announced, SU developing drone policy and more

Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, who has called Syracuse University a special place for veterans, speaks at SU in March 2015. Last week, SU announced finalists to design the National Veterans Resource Complex.

1. Syracuse University announces design finalists

Syracuse University announced on Wednesday the three finalists vying to design the National Veterans Resource Complex. All three of the architecture firms — Adjaye Associates, SHoP and Snohetta — are also finalists in the competition to design the Obama Presidential Library in Chicago. Over the next few weeks, the finalists will come to campus to consult with students, faculty and administrators about the goals of the NVRC.

The NVRC will become a central location for veteran resources on campus and in the community-at-large. The winner of the design competition will be announced in May, after the finalists visit campus again in April to submit their final designs.

2. SU developing policy on drone use

Although there is not yet an official policy on drone usage at SU, the Office of the University General Counsel is working on developing one in light of Federal Aviation Administration rules and guidelines. The FAA now requires all drones for research or academic purposes to have a Section 333 exemption. Officials say any SU student or faculty member who wishes to use drones for these purposes will also need liability insurance in addition to this exemption.

However, students involved with The Skyworks Project, a group on campus that researches drones, said most students do not have the means to get the exemption or insurance.

3. Syracuse in line to receive $500,000

In his Empire State Poverty Reduction Initiative, New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo has allotted Syracuse and nine other cities in New York state $500,000 to fight poverty. The cities up for the grants are the cities with the highest poverty rates in upstate New York. Syracuse Common Councilor Jean Kessner said the city should use the money on job creation and retention.

The proposal is included in Cuomo’s state budget agenda, which will be approved or rejected by April 1.

4. Questions arise at semester’s first University Senate meeting

Faculty directed questions about the buyout program toward Chancellor Kent Syverud at the first University Senate meeting of the semester on Wednesday. The buyout program resulted in retirement rates that were three times higher than average. Faculty wanted to know exact numbers about the extent and effectiveness of the program, which Syverud promised he would have at the next meeting.

The implementation of the Campus Master Plan was also discussed. Syverud said the plan was mostly delayed by discussions about the future of the Carrier Dome. He said the Board of Trustees is discussing options and will continue to do so at a meeting this coming week.

5. Professor emerita dies

SU announced on Tuesday the death of Claire Rudolph, a professor emerita of social work. Rudolph died in her sleep on Jan. 5. She received a Ph.D. in social sciences from SU before she joined the faculty in 1965. She is known for running the Social Work Continuing Education Program and for being the chair of the School of Social Work for 20 years.

Rudolph gained emeriti status in 1996. She was awarded the Chancellor’s Citation for Exceptional Academic Achievement in 1998.