Week in Review

Week in News: Focus groups to be held for health insurance policy, #BlackLivesMatter creator to speak at SU and more

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

Protesters stand outside Hendricks Chapel as SUNY-ESF graduates file out of Hendricks Chapel. Alicia Garza, the co-creator of #BlackLivesMatter, will be speaking at SU.

Catch up on the week in Daily Orange news before heading back to class or work on Monday with this roundup of the big stories:

SU online programs rank

The online graduate computer information program at the School of Information Studies has been ranked No. 11 in the country by the U.S. News & World Report. Kelsey George, a recent graduate of the library and information science program, said the on-campus orientation allowed her to connect with faculty in ways other programs could not.

The Martin J. Whitman School of Management also had a program ranked this week. The school’s online MBA@Syracuse degree was ranked No. 44 among the top 50 online MBA programs, again compiled by U.S. News & World Report. Syracuse University is tied with five other schools at that spot.

whitman

#BlackLivesMatter Creator to speak at SU

Alicia Garza, the co-creator of the social movement Black Lives Matter, is scheduled to speak at SU on Feb. 23. The appearance is part of the Office of Multicultural Affairs’ event series celebrating Black History Month. Her speech at Hendricks Chapel will be free and open to the public.

Garza first took to social media with a Facebook message in 2013 after George Zimmerman was acquitted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. In addition to her work with Black Lives Matter, Garza is also the special projects director for the National Domestic Workers Alliance, which works to protect the rights of domestic laborers.

blacklivesmatter2

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

Focus groups to be held for health insurance policy

Now that the initial rollout of the new health insurance policy has taken place, SU officials are looking for student feedback on the way the policy has been implemented. The first focus group was held on Jan. 27, and there are two others slated for Feb. 4 from 6-7 p.m. and Feb. 5 from noon to 1 p.m. The focus groups will take place in the Schine Student Center Room 232.

All students will be required to have health insurance for the 2016-17 academic school year. To participate in the focus groups, students should email the Division of Student Affairs.

HealthInsurance3

Katherine Sotelo | Web Designer

Cuomo announces clean energy competition

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo has launched a competition to engage New York state college students in renewable energy. The “Energy to Lead Competition” is looking for submissions that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions on college campuses and in communities.

The program will award $1 million to the winning student-led team. The proposals must include how the money will forward the project and must show innovation in project design, business model, partnerships and/or curriculum integration.

Cuomofile

“It’s On Us” a capella competition announced

“The Hunting Ground,” ROK Mobile and “It’s On Us” have partnered together for an a capella competition to raise awareness about sexual assault on college campuses. The “Til It Happens To You: Sing for Survivors Contest” was announced Wednesday and will seek video submissions of a capella renditions of “Til It Happens to You,” the Oscar-nominated song featured in the documentary “The Hunting Ground.”

The song was originally written and performed by Lady Gaga and Diane Warren, who is a Grammy-award winning songwriter and one of the judges of the contest. LL Cool J, Pentatonix and other industry members and celebrities will also be judges. The winner will receive a Skype session with Pentatonix among other music-oriented prizes.

111015_N_joebiden1_filephoto