Syracuse University announces death of professor emerita

Claire Rudolph, professor emerita of social work at Syracuse University, died in her home on Jan. 5., the university announced Tuesday.

Rudolph served for almost 20 years as chair of the School of Social Work, where her research focused on regional perinatal care, case management, domestic violence, risks of pregnant women and child health outcomes, according to an SU News release. Additionally, Rudolph developed the curriculum for the school’s healthcare concentration and managed to support students with grants secured from the Bureau of Maternal and Child Health, according to the release.

Before joining SU faculty in 1965, Rudolph earned a Ph.D. in social sciences from the university. She became a professor emerita in 1996.

Soon after gaining emeriti status, Rudolph took over the Social Work Continuing Education Program, an initiative which, according to the release, still continues today.

Rudolph also used a five-year curriculum development grant to both support tuition and create curriculum for the Child Welfare Concentration within the School of Social Work. Because of Rudolph’s efforts, caseworkers from upstate New York county Department of Social Services agencies are now able to secure master’s degrees in social work on a part-time basis, according to the release.

Dr. Rudolph’s dedication helped caseworkers provide to families the tools needed to make necessary behavior changes to adequately provide for and protect their children,” said Mark J. Jachim, casework supervisor of the Training Unit for Onondaga County Children and Family Service, in the release.

Rudolph received the American Public Health Association’s Outstanding Achievement Award in Public Health Social Work in 1994, and was honored by SU in 1998 with the Chancellor’s Citation for Exceptional Academic Achievement, according to the release.

“Her leadership within the School of Social Work and the community were evident by her many accomplishments and level of engagement,” said Carrie Jefferson Smith, director of the School of Social Work. “I join the faculty in the School of Social Work grieving the loss of this consummate scholar and trusted friend. She was a true gift to all who knew her.”