Veteran-Focused Medical School

Syracuse University announces 3 finalists to design National Veterans Resource Complex

Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer

Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks at SU in March 2015. He has been quoted calling SU a special place for veterans.

Three firms that are in the running to design the Obama Presidential Library have been selected as the finalists to design the National Veterans Resource Complex at Syracuse University.

The NVRC Selection Committee, which is made up of SU faculty, staff and students, chose Adjaye Associates, SHoP and Snohetta as finalists, the university announced Wednesday. Each of those firms is also among seven finalists to design the Obama Presidential Library in Chicago, according to an SU News release.

Representatives from each firm will come to SU in the coming weeks to view the site for the complex, which is tentatively planned to be built on the western part of Waverly Avenue, according to the release.

The finalists will also “speak with members of the campus community about the history, goals, vision and timeline for the new facility,” according to the release.

“The three finalist firms and their teams are outstanding,” said Martha Thorne, the dean of the IE School of Architecture and Design in Madrid who is leading the design competition, in the release.  “I have no doubt they will propose ideas that go beyond traditional academic buildings and make the NVRC a pioneering facility that will contribute to the University, as well as the broader community.”

Once finished, the NVRC, which received funding from New York state last month, will house SU’s Institute for Veterans and Military Families, one of the leading institutes for veterans in the country. It will also serve as the home to a number of other tenants, including the Office of Veterans and Military Affairs.

The construction of the NVRC is one aspect of the Campus Master Plan, the Fast Forward initiative in place to better SU’s infrastructure.

The three finalist firms will return to SU in April to present final proposals to the selection committee, according to the release. SU will announce the winning firm in May.